Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€€200 per month off Mortgage or into Savings Account?

Options
  • 11-04-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi guys, quick question. Wondering if I would be better paying an extra 200 euro per month into my Mortgage to ideally pay it off in 15 years rather than 20. (Tracker so lucky there) or saving it somewhere so it can earn some interest and maybe be paid into Mortgage later. Advantage being I would have access to it (which may be a bad thing too). Any advice appreciated or tips on good savings accounts. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

There have been a few threads on this recently.
    But the answer is you are much better off paying the money off the mortgage.

Any interest you get from a savings account will be very little.

The only benefit from a savings account is as you said "having access to the money".

Paying off the mortgage will equate to earning 5-7% interest on the 200 per month depending on your mortgage rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Just to re-iterate, this is an absolute no brainer. 100% put it against the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jodie001

Thank you so much. Appreciate both responses. Will do that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What rate are you paying on your mortgage at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

But the answer is you are much better off paying the money off the mortgage.

Any interest you get from a savings account will be very little.

The only benefit from a savings account is as you said "having access to the money".

Prezatch wrote: »
    Just to re-iterate, this is an absolute no brainer. 100% put it against the mortgage

for the 2 options, yes pay it against the mortgage. There are other options available though. Your tracker is (I'm guessing) relatively low (2% or less?).

You are probably going to also be claiming trs too? So paying off the mortgage is saving less than 2%.

I'm not aware of too many deposit accounts around that pay that after tax...but could you invest in other products and earn 3-4+% (which you would need to equate after tax vs savings on mortgage)? Probably.

If you had a lump sum, you could buy dividend paying stocks and hold it for 10-15 + years. Over time the dividend and the stock values would most likely beat the overpayment on the mortgage.

Just remember the downside to paying off the mortgage is that that money is gone...you cant access it without the banks permission (ie new loan) if you need it.

For me -I'd build a reasonable nest egg and then pay some off the mortgage and invest some .
    Paying off the mortgage will equate to earning 5-7% interest on the 200 per month depending on your mortgage rate.

Genuinely interested in the calcs behind this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

daheff wrote: »

Genuinely interested in the calcs behind this?

Sorry it was a typo, meant to say you would require a deposit account earning 5-7% to get the same return as a mortgage payment based on what my mortgage is.
    My mortgage is 3.69%

Advertisement