Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with ancestor's DOB

Options
  • 11-04-2017 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hoping a more experienced person in the area of genealogy than myself can help me with this query.

My great grandmother Rosanna Flanagan (nee Kavanagh) is recorded as aged 25 on her wedding day on 2nd July 1885, aged 52 when she died on 5th May 1907, and as 45 on the night of the 1901 census (31st March).

So, she was born between 1855 and 1860.

Given that records on irishgenealogy.ie only go back to 1864 or so for births, where would I next search for her birth record?

This is in the rural area outside Portarlington in Laois if it's of any relevance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

I wouldn't claim to be experienced in genealogy at all but i did have reason to look up my grand father's DOB and place of birth recently.

I did this by signing up to a free trial of ancestry.com. I had similar information to what you have provided and was successful.

Failing that, you might try her local parish records. Some of these are now online. If it's not online you would need to contact the parish and arrange a visit in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

macsauce wrote: »
    I wouldn't claim to be experienced in genealogy at all but i did have reason to look up my grand father's DOB and place of birth recently.

I did this by signing up to a free trial of ancestry.com. I had similar information to what you have provided and was successful.

Failing that, you might try her local parish records. Some of these are now online. If it's not online you would need to contact the parish and arrange a visit in person.

Thanks for that - I've had a trawl through the NLI's online church records for the parish in question and unfortunately she doesn't seem to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

There's a Rosana (sp) Kavanagh baptism in Mountrath, Co Laois 12/7/1857. Father's name is Patrick, mother is Cath Costigan, address Clonard, sponsors Thomas Dunne & Eliza Costigan.

edit... Ignore as I see from her marriage that her father was John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

The only one with a father John that Ancestry throws up is Rosanna Cavaney from Ardagh, Longford, nothing in Laois. Are you sure she was born there? There are a few on familysearch.org so have a look and see if any of them fits the bill.

Take given ages with a grain of salt as most people back then didn't give exact ages for one reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Wyldwood wrote: »
    The only one with a father John that Ancestry throws up is Rosanna Cavaney from Ardagh, Longford, nothing in Laois. Are you sure she was born there? There are a few on familysearch.org so have a look and see if any of them fits the bill.

Take given ages with a grain of salt as most people back then didn't give exact ages for one reason or another.

Thanks for your efforts! I understand the age thing being very flexible but I'm fairly sure she was born in Laois. I guess with records not always being completed, it just may not be in existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MAGZERFLOOD

Find My Past has more Irish records than any other website

Advertisement