Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

housing problem with carlow county council

Options
  • 11-04-2017 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

for the last two years i been trying to get on the council housing list ive being refused time and time again why this is where its get interesting ive never had council house in my life never one a list before any where in Ireland im Irish never left the country in my family there six kids from teens to tots my partner and i have being together 8 years now here is where i cant understand the councils thinking my partner was married had a council house ten years ago with her husband now she was a kept woman all money taken from her he done the shopping paid all the bills paid rent to the council forgot to mention he rape her put her hospital more than once he had a drink and drug problem never got jail cant understand that. anyway my partner she taken from that house by her ma and da council were told she and her kids left the house and why any he stop paying the rent amassed a bill for 13000 in rent arrears now carlow county council want me to pay 13000 euro before they consider me for a council house ever now ive heard of people who have got new council house owing the council 20k plus if anyone know of anyone or how to fight this with the council please let me know i refuse to pay another mans debt why should i.
    anynhelp on this would be fantastic looking forward to what people have to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

If I understand this correctly your partner potentially owes the council €13k from a previous council letting and the council require this to be repaid before they will consider putting you on the list. Some additional information would help.
    • Was her name on the letting arrangement with the council? Was her husband's name on it
    • Is the 13k the entire sum owed or is it split between her and her husband?
    • What happened the house, is the husband still in it?

I presume there is no chance of her husband paying any of this back?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 marcm05

If I understand this correctly your partner potentially owes the council €13k from a previous council letting and the council require this to be repaid before they will consider putting you on the list. Some additional information would help.
    • Was her name on the letting arrangement with the council? Was her husband's name on it
    • Is the 13k the entire sum owed or is it split between her and her husband?
    • What happened the house, is the husband still in it?

I presume there is no chance of her husband paying any of this back?

(1) her name was on it and his
    (2) he handed the key back to the council
    (3) he refuses to paid a penny he has a council house in a different county
    (4) why should I pay the debt
    (5) the key was handed back ti the council ten years ago

Firstly I don't believe you are liable for the debt but your partner could be.

When the key was handed back, where was your partner living after that. In effect, who was living in the house over the last 10 years?. Also have you got any breakdown from the council as to the period they consider rent to be owed

she went to a rent house he live there for six months after that rent owed for two years the house given to another famliy after a full refab of the house they want me to pay the full amount

Forgive me but it is difficult to understand your posts.

Am I correct in saying that there is around 2 and a half years of rent owing on the original house? If there is, then it sounds as if the process for vacating the house was not carried out correctly. I assume you cannot simply "hand back the key" but that there should have been some paperwork filled out at the time. Was this done and did your partner retain a copy of it. ? Is there any record of her interactions with the council at that time. If she simply moved out without informing the council then you can't blame them for seeking outstanding rent before she is allocated a new house.

• Advertisement

She left her house and moved to a rented house she sent a letter to the council saying she did not live in that house anymore but her ex husband still lives in the house .
    The council reply and told her there was rent outstanding her replyed and said she was not in control of the money her ex husband was the bill payer and provider she had no money of her own she was a kebt woman the council said ok to that and nothing was said till I went looking for a council house uve being told for two famliys that owe 18k and 22k in rent to the council and they were rehoused but I cant get a house bit crazy I think
    Forgive me but it is difficult to understand your posts.

Am I correct in saying that there is around 2 and a half years of rent owing on the original house? If there is, then it sounds as if the process for vacating the house was not carried out correctly. I assume you cannot simply "hand back the key" but that there should have been some paperwork filled out at the time. Was this done and did your partner retain a copy of it. ? Is there any record of her interactions with the council at that time. If she simply moved out without informing the council then you can't blame them for seeking outstanding rent before she is allocated a new house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

marcm05 wrote: »
    her ex husband was the bill payer

Clearly not.
    she was a kebt woman

And now she's got someone else to keep her, by the sounds of it.
    I cant get a house bit crazy I think

Sigh. Workers are suckers in this Country...

Try the State Benefits forum, you might get more sympathy there.

(1) I work
    (2) she free do whats she wants
    (3) dont want sympathy
    (4) im asking for advice to a problem
    (5) not asking to be judged
    (6) the im an asshole and I think im better than you forums is where you need to be good day sir.
    EmoCourt wrote: »
    Clearly not.

And now she's got someone else to keep her, by the sounds of it.

Sigh. Workers are suckers in this Country...

Try the State Benefits forum, you might get more sympathy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

(1) I work

Grand so, go and rent from a private landlord. Plenty of places for rent in the town. You don't need Council housing; You won't get it due to others who are higher priority, and your other half can remain a kept Woman as she has become accustomed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

(1) I work
    (2) she free do whats she wants
    (3) dont want sympathy
    (4) im asking for advice to a problem
    (5) not asking to be judged
    (6) the im an asshole and I think im better than you forums is where you need to be good day sir.

I assuem your partner is part of the application. Why do you think she should be given a council house when she has previous reputation for not paying her bills?

• Advertisement

Plenty of working people renting council houses, they are not designed or intended purely for the unemployed.

In relation to this post, I think the OP needs firstly to have a conversation with the county council housing officer to understand how the rent arrears built up after the keys were handed back. Maybe its a mistake at their end, maybe (and I hate to say this) the OP's partner is not telling the whole truth to the OP. You need to understand what the council have on file for you and for her. I'm struggling to understand how a €13k debt could be built up in just 2 years.

Secondly, and depending on what the council says, the OP should then go and have a conversation with the Citizens Advice Bureau to see what to do next

Advertisement