Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little and often!

Options
  • 10-04-2017 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I'm hoping to get some advice from the forum. I don't have large capital on hand but was hoping to deposit a couple hundred a week to a portfolio of shares.

Alongside the "investment" aspect I would like to follow the shares and get a little bit of enjoyment from following the progress. Does such a format exist with small weekly sums?

I have a vague idea of El Toro and that might be the answer? I'm familiar with spread betting but I know that's a bit too risky.Something like linked finance doesn't appeal.

I would put myself in the slightly risky bracket and willing to take a little punt, not saying I'll throw into a load of penny share gambles but as such small money I don't mind taking a bit of a flyer!

Dont know if I'm looking for too much but appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have you had a look at Degiro? You can get an app on your phone to follow your portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭TallyRand

Wheety wrote: »
    Have you had a look at Degiro? You can get an app on your phone to follow your portfolio.

Thanks, degiro looks alright but just not sure if €100 or €200 a week deposits would make sense? I'd probably concentrate on one or two picks and keep buying so that would average price out?

Do you think two ETF's would be good to pick ?
    I'm looking at USO which is an oil ETF but pretty clueless pick not really based on any studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Why not buy once a month instead of once a week? I think that makes more sense if you're investing such small amounts, to mimimize charges.

USO has an expense ratio of 0.77%, which isn't particularly cheap as far as ETFs go.
    http://www.etf.com/USO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Why not buy once a month instead of once a week? I think that makes more sense if you're investing such small amounts, to mimimize charges.

USO has an expense ratio of 0.77%, which isn't particularly cheap as far as ETFs go.
    http://www.etf.com/USO

this is what I did i had a SO set up to transfer money into the account weekly but every 6 weeks or so i would go in a buy shares cut the costs down that way

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Oil is down but is certainly not an industry I'd take a gamble on unless it was for short term, small 'day trading' gains. You'll sleep a lot better putting it into something with much lighter charges and much more diversified eg. VOO (over 15 times less charges at 0.05% :eek:)

Have a look at the chart below which compares the two since 2011. Then think to yourself, do you really see the world guzzling oil again in the next 10 years?

https://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1491987627242&chddm=627711&chls=IntervalBasedLine&cmpto=NYSEARCA:USO&cmptdms=0&q=NYSEARCA:VOO&ntsp=1&ei=hOztWKC5IYqdUI_5t6gF

If you are intent on trying to beat the market, I recommended superconductors in December (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102031828&postcount=228) and remain bullish. The SOXX ETF has outperformed VOO by 33% since that post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

1. Degiro (Low transaction fees).
    2. Dollar Cost averaging.
    3. Vanguard ETF's (Low Management fees).

Maybe this approach will lose it's edge as it becomes more popular but it seems to be the best approach for a passive investor. I listen to a lot of the early retirement podcasts and this is a strategy (or part of a greater strategy) adopted by a lot of those who actually succeeded in retiring early.

I also occasionally buy a Dividend Aristocrat, I like the small buzz of receiving a dividend for doing nothing. My portfolio might be heading south, then a few quid of a dividend comes in and it lifts the spirit.

Advertisement