Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think Nuclear Weapons will be used in the next few decades

Options
  • 10-04-2017 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

A bright and breezy start to the week with this one, anyone think Nukes will be used again, not necessarily an all-out world ending war but for instance, a conflict between India and Pakistan and smaller scale nukes being used before sense prevails nevertheless causing massive ecological damage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Yes, growing population and food shortages combined with political and racial tensions will trigger some war or terrorist attack that will see the use of nuclear weapons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Food shortages will have nothing to do with it. But yes I see the US nuking Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I sure hope not, it'd be MAD stuff after all. But I have no idea really. Impossible to predict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Yes but it won't happen until 05/09/2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Who knows, I certainly cant tell the future.
    I see nothing in particular at the moment that would suggest the use of nuclear weapons is inevitable or anything like that.
    People like to imagine that the current world situation is so much worse than any other time, I think this is simply because they want to believe they are living in historic times.
    We`re a long way from the threat level that was present during WW2 or The Cold War/Cuban missile crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Radiation is good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Yes but it won't happen until 05/09/2018

Michael Keaton's 67th birthday... The prophecy aligns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Noveight wrote: »
    Michael Keaton's 67th birthday... The prophecy aligns!

Batman will save us or are you a joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Would the chances of a "dirty bomb" being used not be much greater than a full out nuclear strike.
    It lessens the chances of retaliation and so from a strategy perspective would be more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

*Arnie voice*

When Skynet becomes self awayuh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No, no need for them. A small scale nuke would be the last thing deployed.

Strategic bombing is more effective for eliminating targets and doesn't carry the whole 'doomsday' tag.

I buy an extra can of beans each week though just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Pac1Man wrote: »
    No, no need for them. A small scale nuke would be the last thing deployed.

Strategic bombing is more effective for eliminating targets and doesn't carry the whole 'doomsday' tag.

I buy an extra can of beans each week though just in case.

You can eat the beans and then use the can to line the inside of your bunker. Excellent thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

They more than likely will. which will probably either lead to permanent world wide disarmament of nukes or the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm just glad the Donald is in office, I don't think he likes wars, he wouldn't allow this to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

As the Nuclear club gets bigger the ability to contain it lessens.
    It just takes one crackpot dictator/leader to be given access to the red button, lose his temper and then pow.
    But Anti missile defences are a lot better...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I do genuinely think that North Korea will eventually get nuked, most likely the day they have missiles capable of hitting the U.S. mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Cina wrote: »
    I do genuinely think that North Korea will eventually get nuked, most likely the day they have missiles capable of hitting the U.S. mainland.

they would certainly get invaded, not sure about nuked, NK would get rolled over very quickly

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Cina wrote: »

That will be a lot less than 10 years imo.

Personally i think the world is vastly more unstable now than during the Cuban missile crisis or any other time. We now have a multitude of nations with nukes and others trying to gain access to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

That will be a lot less than 10 years imo.

Personally i think the world is vastly more unstable now than during the Cuban missile crisis or any other time. We now have a multitude of nations with nukes and others trying to gain access to them.

And than there's the stand off between Trump and Putin..if you boil it down to the bottom line...I'm thinking of digging a big hole somewhere remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

silverharp wrote: »
    they would certainly get invaded, not sure about nuked, NK would get rolled over very quickly

Doubt that they'd be that much of a pushover tbh. Massive standing army and leaders with little regard for their own people's lives makes a quick conflict unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I think Trump will intervene in NK to stop them getting a miniaturised warhead capable of reaching the US mainland. The question then is will the commanders on the ground retaliate against the south and Japan with the nukes that have survived the US strikes.
    I cannot however see ICBMs being used in the next decade.

Advertisement