Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber picking figures out of the SKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 09-04-2017 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Currently renovating 1472sq ft two storey. Builder got plumber in to upgrade the heating system. Now said plumber is looking for over 3K for materials (we supplied the boiler at 1600euro) & 3.5K for labour!!!!!. Job isn't even finished yet. He reckons he worked on it for 168 hours (not a chance) & we didn't agree to an hourly rate. We didn't employ him, the builder did & now the builder says we have to deal with it!. Am so mad at this stage am fit to be tied. Anyone know how to handle this one? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Jasper7 wrote: »
    Currently renovating 1472sq ft two storey. Builder got plumber in to upgrade the heating system. Now said plumber is looking for over 3K for materials (we supplied the boiler at 1600euro) & 3.5K for labour!!!!!. Job isn't even finished yet. He reckons he worked on it for 168 hours (not a chance) & we didn't agree to an hourly rate. We didn't employ him, the builder did & now the builder says we have to deal with it!. Am so mad at this stage am fit to be tied. Anyone know how to handle this one? Thanks

This isn't really a plumbing issue that you are looking for advice on. There is probably a consumer issues or other such forum that might be more suited to your query. If you do post this query elsewhere, please delete this one, or pm me and I will do it for you.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

So the builder got in a plumber without agreeing costs with you and then expects you to pay whatever he says? Were you consulted at all about his choice in plumber or were any costs discussed.

Is the cost you agreed with the builder for the full job excluding plumbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You'll probably get lots of comments "tell the plumber to f off", " it's the builders problem, let him sort it", "don't pay or just pay a little bit".
    The problem is you let someone on your property to do work without agreeing a price. If you order a steak in a restaurant without checking the price and find out its Kobi beef at 200 euro per steak, you still have to pay. Even if I recommend a tradesman friend I always tell the client to get a price first. I recommend quality of work, price has nothing to do with me.
    Wearb is spot on. There are consumer affairs forum's here on boards and an actual legal forum. You'll get better advice there IMO.
    What materials is the plumber supplying anyway? You could see a few K on rads, TRVs etc. You are entitled to see invoices from the supplier or a breakdown of costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Jasper7 wrote: »
    168 hours is just not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

seems a bit hairy fairy to me 168 hours that's the equiv of 17 10 hour days

common courtesy and good business to agree any extras with customer before not after

the 3 of you need to sit down together

• Advertisement
Advertisement