Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wired wifi extender

Options
  • 09-04-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My house has thick walls and the router is placed on one side of the house. I want to run cat 5 cable from it to the other side of the house and connect a wifi extender. The cable is needed for the dlistance as the wireless signal loss is a lot. What device can I connect as the extender? Could I use an old eir come router?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Will it work wired to my primary router? Or is it a wireless repeater?

Yes, an access point is what you need and that is one of the best you can buy at a very decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I don't doubt that but will it connect permanently to my primary router and then act as an extension of the network? If so I'll have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

j4vier wrote:
    I'm trying to pay for vrt, and I'm in a hurry to do so, but during the inspection I was told that they would get back to me with a price within 10 days. This was last Friday.

Buy yourself a TP link .... Great device. Basically depending on model you can use both wires and wireless. Comes in 2 parts + Basically plugs into your electrical socket in the wall and you connect into the back of your router. It uses your electrical wiring a connector /conductor and you then plug the 2nd part into any socket anywhere else in house and it becomes a wireless emitter or you can connect via Ethernet .

I was sceptical at first but it works a treat. Harvey Norman's and the like sell them

• Advertisement

If they work. Homeplugs are completely hit or miss and depend on the quality of your electrical circuit to do a job it's not intended for. YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

dev100 wrote: »
    Buy yourself a TP link .... Great device. Basically depending on model you can use both wires and wireless. Comes in 2 parts + Basically plugs into your electrical socket in the wall and you connect into the back of your router. It uses your electrical wiring a connector /conductor and you then plug the 2nd part into any socket anywhere else in house and it becomes a wireless emitter or you can connect via Ethernet .

I was sceptical at first but it works a treat. Harvey Norman's and the like sell them

Had this system in place for a year or so and had to ditch it recently. Non-stop drops, kick-offs, slow speeds, etc. It was driving me nuts. Eventually bought some cat-5e cable, an Apple Airport, and a lot of those little nails with plugs to attach the cable to the skirting boards.

I haven't had any issues with connection dropping since, and I am getting 40mbps+ consistently. Given my experience, I would definitely recommend you save yourself the bother and hassle of trying powerline adapters and just get some cabling and a router or access point like the one first linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

I have had this problem in my own house, it's not that big about 2600sqft, but lots of concret, I have tried lots of options high powered ap's, wifi extenders, they all sort of worked but not seemlessly and there were still black spots. About 2 years ago I bought 4 of the unifi AP's and I have not looked back, devices roam seamlessly I have added outdoor units to cover the front and back garden. Brilliant piece of kit. I have since put it in work also easy to setup guest networks also.
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Advertisement