Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visiting Poland in July

Options
  • 09-04-2017 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I am planning to visit Poland in July with my wife and son , we want to go to Krakow mainly and visit Auschwitz-Birkenau camp as well as taking in
    the saltmines also as well as exploring Krakow it's self. It will be my first time visiting Poland, so I am complete rookie with regards to flights - accommodation and money. I'm looking to fly out of cork and I'm looking for nice accommodation in central Krakow, near restaurants, shopping ,bars ect. Is July the right time to go? All help tips and advice will be taken on board .

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭amber2

You can fly direct with Ryanair out of Shannon or Dublin, think cork has direct to gdansk or Wroclaw which are many hours away. Never stayed in Kraków sorry.

Edit may be worth putting this in the travel section may get more replies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

July will be warm, but summer is a lovely time to visit Krakow.
    I am away from home at the moment, but will write a longer reply later.

What sort of things interest you? What sort of budget per night were you thinking for your accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kooreczka

mygti wrote: »
    Hi, I am planning to visit Poland in July with my wife and son , we want to go to Krakow mainly and visit Auschwitz-Birkenau camp as well as taking in
    the saltmines also as well as exploring Krakow it's self. It will be my first time visiting Poland, so I am complete rookie with regards to flights - accommodation and money. I'm looking to fly out of cork and I'm looking for nice accommodation in central Krakow, near restaurants, shopping ,bars ect. Is July the right time to go? All help tips and advice will be taken on board .

Thanks in advance.

Hi

You will be better off flying from Dublin to Krakow as flights are everyday. Krakow will be very warm in July and it is a very nice place especially Old Market Square and Wawel Castle. You were talking about visiting Auschwitz and Wieliczka salt mine they are must see when you visit Krakow. You can find hotel on bookig.com browse map and see what suits you best also better value is to take cash as exchange rate will be better over there and there's plenty of places called "Kantor" where you can do it they have better rate than in the banks. If there's anything else you'd like to know just ask I'll be happy to help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭amber2

Also If you are looking for taxi transfers to the sites, here is a link for Artur Dream Cabs, his prices are excellent & so is his English, highly recommend him.

http://www.dreamcabkrakow.com

Email : office@dreamcabkrakow.com

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mygti

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

mygti wrote:
    Hi, I am planning to visit Poland in July with my wife and son , we want to go to Krakow mainly and visit Auschwitz-Birkenau camp as well as taking in the saltmines also as well as exploring Krakow it's self. It will be my first time visiting Poland, so I am complete rookie with regards to flights - accommodation and money. I'm looking to fly out of cork and I'm looking for nice accommodation in central Krakow, near restaurants, shopping ,bars ect. Is July the right time to go? All help tips and advice will be taken on board .

Krakow is a beautiful city. Accommodation in the city centre is plentiful and affordable. Try booking.com for hotels or you can rent a short term apartment quite cheaply near the city centre. Look for accommodation around the old city.
    Glowny is the old city area close to the train station. There is a rail link from the airport directly to Krakow. Also at the train station you can meet private tour guides who will bring you directly to Auschwitz and the larger camp at Birkenau. You can get a train to the salt mines allow a day for each. The salt mines are incredible and worth the long narrow staircase descent.
    July will be warm in Krakow. Cost is roughly a third less than what we pay for things. Of course away from the tourist spots things are cheaper again.
    Also beside the train station in Krakow there is a huge shopping centre with top brand shops.
    I've been to Krakow 3 times hope what I have wrote helps. Don't forget a trip to Wavel Castle. A short walk from the old town. You could also make your way to the Schindler factory and Plascow both featured in Schinders list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The salt mines doesnt need a day.

Its best to do it in the evening. Its underground, so why waste the day!

We did the camps and salt mines using tours. The camps is a long day. Bring some lunch as you dont get much time between them.
    The Castle is also worth doing.
    A bike tour around the Jewish area is useful for getting your bearings. The Schindler museum is a must and then walk around to Kazmeiriz to have a look around the Jewish Quarter.

As for getting between the airport and the town centre. We booked a private transfer which was easy and saved trying to figure out how to get to the accomodation from the train station.

There are also underground tunnels in the main square. We didnt go there but I hear they are worth doing

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mygti

Thank you all for the advice, my son is 15 and doing history in school , and they must have been doing WW2 history of Poland / Auschwitz , that's where his interest came from .personally I have always wanted to travel there my self. So as I previously said I'm thinking July.
    Would I be better off going via travel agent or book it all myself. Hotel wise it must be clean and nice, willing to pay 120e per night , central as I said .
    Does ryanair fly from Cork?

Thanks again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

mygti wrote:
    Thank you all for the advice, my son is 15 and doing history in school , and they must have been doing WW2 history of Poland / Auschwitz , that's where his interest came from .personally I have always wanted to travel there my self. So as I previously said I'm thinking July. Would I be better off going via travel agent or book it all myself. Hotel wise it must be clean and nice, willing to pay 120e per night , central as I said . Does ryanair fly from Cork?

Each time I have gone I've booked all myself. Flew each time from Dublin. Not sure about Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kindalen

mygti wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice, my son is 15 and doing history in school , and they must have been doing WW2 history of Poland / Auschwitz , that's where his interest came from .personally I have always wanted to travel there my self. So as I previously said I'm thinking July.
    Would I be better off going via travel agent or book it all myself. Hotel wise it must be clean and nice, willing to pay 120e per night , central as I said .
    Does ryanair fly from Cork?

Thanks again .

You should be able to get a 4 star hotel for about 80euro a night. Lovely city, and friendly people. I dont think you can fly direct from Cork.

Enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

120 a night would get you a palace in Krakow.

You don't need to pay anything like that for a good quality, clean and safe hotel, with huge breakfast every morning. Nothing at all wrong with the Polish-owned hotels, so no need to seek out generic boring corporate hotels like the Radisson etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We booked an apartment the time we were there. it was a few minutes walk to the main square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭mossie

I was there in January, stayed in the Ascot Hotel about 5 minutes from the main square. Very cheap and included a continental breakfast, pretty basic but alright if you don't want luxury. Flew from Shannon, flights only on Monday and Friday so you'd have to work around that. Used www.krakowshuttle.com for airport pickups and trips, and they were excellent.

Advertisement