Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on where to get N42 engine rebuilt

Options
  • 09-04-2017 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to where I could get some engine work done in or around the Dublin area.

Car is an '04 e46 with the 2.0 N42. It's goes through oil quicker than petrol. I've replaced rocker cover gasket, solenoid seals, vacuum pump seals and the oil separator. All the usual things for this engine.

After ticking over for a few minutes when I move off a cloud of smoke follows me. From what I've read online this all points to the valve stem seals.

It's a head off job apparently so I'm thinking I may as well see if anything else needs replacing while I'm at it.

If anyone has gone down this route or can recommend any places to get the work down it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I had the same issues with an e46, n42 318i,

And the cheapest fix for me. Was to sell the car on done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

I considered that. I've put lpg in the car so would like to keep it if at all possible as it would be a bit of a hassle to take it out and install in a new car. Also, I really like the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If you plan on keeping it, then the simplest and cheapest option, will be to keep topping up with oil..

I spent plenty of money trying to get to the end of an oil leak, and in the end gave up when I suspected that one of the cams had an issue.

It passed the nct each time, only because they have to actually see it dripping.

Remember, it's a 13yr old car, don't sink too much money into it that you will never see again.

Advertisement