Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop still not fixed after repair.

Options
  • 09-04-2017 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭

Hello folks, hopefully I'm on the right forum for this.

So for 3+ years I've been using a Samsung laptop, nothing fancy but it works for what I need it for. Anyway, I had it charging one day and unfortunately my dog knocked it over and the charging port seemed to be damaged because it would not charge anymore. At this stage I thought hey maybe I could look up on line and try to get the replacement part myself but as I don't have the time or the expertise really I decided to bring it to a computer repair shop.

Guy in the repair clinic comes up with the same notion I had originally, charging port would need to be changed. So I left them my number and they said they would get back to me after a few days.

So two weeks pass and I hear nothing from them. I call them and they tell me part will be in tomorrow and you can collect it around midday. Long story short they tell me they got the wrong part and have to order another one, they could have called me to tell me this but they didn't bother so I wasted a 40 minute journey.

Two more weeks pass, still no word from them. I call again and I get the same storey, it'll be ready tomorrow. At this stage the laptop has been with this company for over a month, to do a job that shouldn't take more than a week and not once have they bothered to call me to tell me about any progress.

So I finally go down to collect it on Monday last. They show me the laptop finally charging and I make sure they give me a discount for all the delays. They agree and cut a grand total of 25 euros off my bill. So I grudgingly pay them 75 euros never to deal with those incompetent idiots again. Lesson learned and all that.

So I bring laptop home and plug it in, charging fine.....for about ten minutes and then doesn't charge again, laptop goes dead, we're back to where we started and I'm thinking about how sweet it would be to beat the engineers head in with my my laptop.

But before I resort to violence, I decided that I'll take one more useless 40 min journey and bring them my receipt and show the laptop isn't charging and demand a full refund, if they don't agree I thought I'd threaten them with the small claims court. What do people think of this? Am I within my rights to do this? The only problem I can foresee is that they showed it charging in the shop and they know I saw it working, for a few minutes at least. Thank you for reading this rambling storey but from a customer service point of view, this place was absolutely terrible. Thanks in advance for advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Quandary

This is a tricky one really. Firstly, Make sure the charger adapter was not damaged, it might need to be replaced too. The IT repair shop replaced what they thought was necessary to fix the charging problem but obviously there is more at fault than just that part. Your best bet, if you really want to get it fixed correctly, is to contact Samsung and see if they still support the model, and if so would they be able to take it and run some diagnostics on it. At least they would be able to tell you what needs to be replaced and at what cost.

To be perfectly honest with you, unless the laptop is a crazy high spec model I would consider replacing it. You have already invested €75 into the repair which has been a lot of hassle and hasn't fixed the issue. Samsung could end up quoting you a hefty price to repair it, even if they offer the service.

How much is the laptop worth, and if it's worth less than €400 or so I would seriously consider just replacing it.

I have worked in IT repair and sys admin for the best part of 10 years and this is what I would advise a customer. Obviously after I had checked out the laptop thoroughly :)

Hope it works out for you, all the best mate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You paid for a repair, and that repair didn't work. I'd be going back looking for a solution, refund or repair. No need to threaten the small claims court just yet.

It might be worth a call ahead to let them know.

Advertisement