Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woolwick barrack's where?

Options
  • 08-04-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where this Woolwick barracks is, the only one i can find is woolwich in london.

Great Great grandfather was a bombadier and this is his registered address on marriage cert. Could this be in rathmines or a sub section of another Barracks.
    Also Grandfather was in the army but can't find any data, is there a 100 year lock on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

JamboMac wrote: »
    Anybody know where this Woolwick barracks is, the only one i can find is woolwich in london.

Great Great grandfather was a bombadier and this is his registered address on marriage cert. Could this be in rathmines or a sub section of another Barracks.
    Also Grandfather was in the army but can't find any data, is there a 100 year lock on it.

The 'k' is a typo, he was in Woolwich, London, which was the main artillery barracks, depot and training establishment. That also matches his rank 'bombardier' which is the artillery equivalent of a Corporal in other Corps/Regiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

forces-war-records.co.uk (subscription website) will help you get his service number. This can give you limited information. There is some information on the UK national archives.
    If you want his full service record you will need to send proof of your relationship to the Ministry of Defence, in Glasgow I think. You will find their contact details on the UK government website. (www.gov.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

tabbey wrote: »
    forces-war-records.co.uk (subscription website) will help you get his service number. This can give you limited information. There is some information on the UK national archives.
    If you want his full service record you will need to send proof of your relationship to the Ministry of Defence, in Glasgow I think. You will find their contact details on the UK government website. (www.gov.uk)
    As regarding great great grandfather in the british army not sure how much a relationship we could actually prove as my grandfather was basically abandoned by both parents when 10.

But my grandfather was in the irish army but on searching that site i can't find anything would have been the 40's so is that locked from public for 100 years, but if you have proof of relationship you can get it sooner.

But my grandfather was in the irish army but on searching that site i can't find anything would have been the 40's so is that locked from public for 100 years, but if you have proof of relationship you can get it sooner.

Contact military archives in Cathal Brugha barracks, Rathmines, Dublin 6.

You can email (militaryarchives.ie) or phone them tomorrow (01) 804 6457 and ask what you can see. You can then make an appointment if they have documents for you.

tabbey wrote: »
    Contact military archives in Cathal Brugha barracks, Rathmines, Dublin 6.

You can email (militaryarchives.ie) or phone them tomorrow (01) 804 6457 and ask what you can see. You can then make an appointment if they have documents for you.

Cool to be honest i think he was just in office since his eyesight wasn't the greatest.

• Advertisement

Cool to be honest i think he was just in office since his eyesight wasn't the greatest.

They still would have him cutting turf or some other work.

If he was left in the office he would be a lucky soldier.
    Or else he may have been a civilian employee.

Either way, ask the duty archivist.

Found this thread from years ago and I link exactly back to Arthur.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056347696 And this is the man wool which barracks.

Advertisement