Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV pixelation

Options
  • 08-04-2017 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have a 42" LG 590v(?) Smart TV.
    I'm having an issue with pixelation when streaming on YouTube particularly but the picture on Netflix isn't great either.
    YouTube video will also stop midway occasionally (like a buffering issue)
    Is this a TV issue or more likely a broadband issue?

I'm with virgin on the 120mb plan iirc.

Thanks for any guidance.

Speed test via mobile @ 8:44am 8/4/17
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2771939635

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

35Mb/s down seems very low for Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

35Mb/s down seems very low for Virgin.

Yeah it does seem a little low - and at that hour of the morning (8:44 am) I wouldn't expect much line contention.
    I tested again a little later, again using Speedtest on the mobile - and I got 55mbps.
    The pixelation and the freezing indicates its a Broadband issue but my gut says its an LG app issue.

Are you feeding the TV via wireless?
    If yes that could easily be the problem.
    Try it wired to eliminate that possibility.

Hi Johnny,

I stream the youtube stuff via the internal LG app.
    Watched Netflix via the same internal app and quality wasn't great - getting stuff on Kodi takes forever also.
    Tried streaming from youtube via my phone and the picture quality was much better.
    Which is giving more credit to my hunch that its a software issue / badly maintained LG Youtube app issue.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Hi Johnny,

I stream the youtube stuff via the internal LG app.
    Watched Netflix via the same internal app and quality wasn't great - getting stuff on Kodi takes forever also.
    Tried streaming from youtube via my phone and the picture quality was much better.
    Which is giving more credit to my hunch that its a software issue / badly maintained LG Youtube app issue.

You have not said whether the TV is using a wired or wireless connection ......... so again, if it is wireless that could be the cause. ;)

• Advertisement

You have not said whether the TV is using a wired or wireless connection ......... so again, if it is wireless that could be the cause. ;)

Apologies, yes its wireless.
    Its an LG Smart Tv so I'm connected via WiFi.
    I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're saying though - my folks have a newer and different model LG, I don't believe they have the equivalent BB package that I have but I've not seen them have the same pixelation issues.

Apologies, yes its wireless.
    Its an LG Smart Tv so I'm connected via WiFi.
    I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're saying though - my folks have a newer and different model LG, I don't believe they have the equivalent BB package that I have but I've not seen them have the same pixelation issues.

The point is that wifi is susceptible to local interference which can cause problems with streaming.

You should attempt to eliminate that possibility before deciding what is most likely to be causing the problems. Using a wired ethernet connection is the best way to check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Even discounting interference you're only getting a fraction of your 120meg Virgin bandwidth if connected to the router via wireless - doesn't matter if it's only 2 feet away.

theteal wrote: »
    Even discounting interference you're only getting a fraction of your 120meg Virgin bandwidth if connected to the router via wireless - doesn't matter if it's only 2 feet away.

I must raise that with them. < 40mbps when I'm paying for up to 120mbps, is stretching the 'up to' part just a bit.
    This may or may not be related but my Kodi device perfoms much worse in the sitting room than when I run the software on the PC (no device).

I must raise that with them. < 40mbps when I'm paying for up to 120mbps, is stretching the 'up to' part just a bit.
    This may or may not be related but my Kodi device perfoms much worse in the sitting room than when I run the software on the PC (no device).

Your speed test was done via mobile so the first thing they will do is tell you to do a speed test to a device that is wired, to get a true test.

You need to do things when wired up to get proper results, both from speed test and for streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As above. Cabled devices will/should get the full benefit of your advertised bandwidth. Wireless just isn't able to carry that kind of load. It's not that you're not getting your "up to" speed, I would wager you are but your wireless devices will never see it. I would always recommend non-mobile devices should be cabled to the network.

theteal wrote: »
    As above. Cabled devices will/should get the full benefit of your advertised bandwidth. Wireless just isn't able to carry that kind of load. It's not that you're not getting your "up to" speed, I would wager you are but your wireless devices will never see it. I would always recommend non-mobile devices should be cabled to the network.

Thanks.

I've broadly no real complaints with the WiFi speed.
    I get about 45-55 mbps upstairs on the PC (not wired).

Advertisement