Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck UPVC window

Options
  • 08-04-2017 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i couldn't find anywhere else.

It looks like the locking mechanism on our bedroom is locked shut. You turn the handle but the window doesn't open it looks like the lock could be stuck.

Any ideas how to loosen it?

Edit : when turning the handle it doesn't make any sounds like it's trying to move the locks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Vicxas wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i couldn't find anywhere else.

It looks like the locking mechanism on our bedroom is locked shut. You turn the handle but the window doesn't open it looks like the lock could be stuck.

Any ideas how to loosen it?

Take the handle off and try moving the lock with something like a screwdriver...there will probably be a square hole in the window locking mechanism which you can try and manipulate. It might be that where the handle connects to the bar that normally moves the lock is worn...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

The spindle on the handle might be worn & not engaging the locking mechanism.

Unscrew the handle (screws usually covered with plastic covers) & if the spindle is showing any signs of wear you can replace the handle with a new one (measure spindle length & width as they vary) or if your anyway handy at diy get a coke tin (or something similar) & carefully cut a thin strip & wrap it around the spindle at the point where it sits in the locking mechanism to make it slightly larger so that it cam engage the lock.

Sometimes the spindle might be removeable from the handle if it is just turn it around so that the other end of the spindle is used to engage with the locking mechanism.

The locking mechanism is called an espag... Very rare that they would need replacing but they should be sprayed with a silicone spray every 6 mths to extend lifespan (wd40 will do the same thing but silicone spray is better) Hinges should be cleaned & sprayed as well. That's what a service guy will do if you ask to get your windows & doors serviced. Simple job that you can do yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So I removed the handle and tried a working one from another window. Same problem. Handle turns but no action on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Looks a bit like the square bit in the espag that the handle turns is rounded? Hard to see from the pic. Compare with your other window.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Definitely looks like something has come loose inside the window alright. Here's the working one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Any luck, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Before you go any further, buy your replacement espag.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

I had the same problem a few years ago and in the end called out Munster Joinery (who fitted the windows when the house was built back in 1998).

They charged 70 euro as a call out fee and the guy had the window open in minutes using a very bizarre looking blade and a hammer.

He slid the blade between the window and the frame just above one of the locking bolts and then hit the blade with a hammer forcing the locking mechanism open.

He fitted a new mechanism which was an extra 15 euro IIRC.

A local window installation company quoted me 120 euro for a call out fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

It will be the gearbox in the espag that has broken away from the locking strip.these break a lot in PVC windows.I replace about 20 of these every week.they are not a standard size so you will need to know what type you need.if you need any info feel free to send me a pm as I am a Dublin based PVC repairer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

nhg wrote: »
    The spindle on the handle might be worn & not engaging the locking mechanism.

Unscrew the handle (screws usually covered with plastic covers) & if the spindle is showing any signs of wear you can replace the handle with a new one (measure spindle length & width as they vary) or if your anyway handy at diy get a coke tin (or something similar) & carefully cut a thin strip & wrap it around the spindle at the point where it sits in the locking mechanism to make it slightly larger so that it cam engage the lock.

Sometimes the spindle might be removeable from the handle if it is just turn it around so that the other end of the spindle is used to engage with the locking mechanism.

The locking mechanism is called an espag... Very rare that they would need replacing but they should be sprayed with a silicone spray every 6 mths to extend lifespan (wd40 will do the same thing but silicone spray is better) Hinges should be cleaned & sprayed as well. That's what a service guy will do if you ask to get your windows & doors serviced. Simple job that you can do yourself...
    A regular occurrence. Far from rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭nhg

dodzy wrote: »
    A regular occurrence. Far from rare.

It's a few years since I worked in the joinery trade (hardwood joinery) and we rarely came across a problem with them, must have been the brand that we used..... We always recommended that they were serviced by the owners every 6 months....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crowirl

Sorry to hijack but similar problem here! My window should swing open when handle is turned 90 degress and close and tilt forward when turned 180 degrees.

My window is stuck half tilted, half swung open with the handle at 180 degrees. Photos attached. Any ideas??

http://imgur.com/a/4VvK0jq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Crowirl wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but similar problem here! My window should swing open when handle is turned 90 degress and close and tilt forward when turned 180 degrees.

My window is stuck half tilted, half swung open with the handle at 180 degrees. Photos attached. Any ideas??

http://imgur.com/a/4VvK0jq
    it is a tilt and turn window .They are quiet complex to work on as there is so many parts to them.and 1 part could be broken.this will give you a idea of how many parts there is in these systems.
    https://goo.gl/images/ML5B71

Advertisement