Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone here taken ayahuasca?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 venlo

get health insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm planning a trip to SA soon and I'm wondering has anyone any experience with ayahuasca. I must say I am intrigued, for those who haven't heard of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jun/07/peru-ayahuasca-drink-boom-amazon-spirituality-healing

For those who have taken it- Is it a load of hippy codswallop,or is a therapeutic and spiritually cleansing purge of all your deepest and darkest demons and emotions.

Dmt makes you meet the dark elves
    Have you tripped much before?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Tigger wrote: »
    Dmt makes you meet the dark elves
    Have you tripped much before?

No never dabbled in physcadelics before, which has me proceeding with caution.

No never dabbled in physcadelics before, which has me proceeding with caution.

Ok well make sure there is someone you love and trust with you and that they aren't taking part in the ceremony,
    It's gonna be all about where you are guided to and how well you are guided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I know someone that lived in SA. Do not touch it.

Fecking dodgey stuff. It might induce a heart attack.

• Advertisement

prinzeugen wrote: »

Fecking dodgey stuff.

What were the reprecussions of taking it ??

You'd do better taking Irish mushys wit a decent group before you go. Some people trip and feeel brilliant but bad trips are as damaging as good ones are healing
    Look make sure you are with someone you love if you are doing stuff like this, and preferably they are staying more grounded to guide you

prinzeugen wrote: »

Fecking dodgey stuff. It might induce a heart attack.

Active ingredient is dmt probably a lot safer doing that than some random strength trip in a weird country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

I had a horn for a fortnight the one time I took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I had a horn for a fortnight the one time I took it.

Is that a good or a bad thing for your job

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

jamesbere wrote: »
    Is that a good or a bad thing for your job

Made no odds, I'm not a grower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

venlo wrote: »
    get health insurance

And pre-book your space in the loony bin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm planning a trip to SA soon and I'm wondering has anyone any experience with ayahuasca. I must say I am intrigued, for those who haven't heard of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jun/07/peru-ayahuasca-drink-boom-amazon-spirituality-healing

For those who have taken it- Is it a load of hippy codswallop,or is a therapeutic and spiritually cleansing purge of all your deepest and darkest demons and emotions.

I haven't, but having seen what I've seen in terms of people puking their hole everywhere I'd say save yourself the bother and go for straight DMT if you want a super-powered hallucinogen.

So the vibe I'm getting here is that essentially it's just a trip your balls off and vomit inducing session. I was aware of the vomiting but my very rudimentary reading of the topic led to believe that this was let if the 'purging' process. I was more curious about how people felt mentally and psychologically after the experience, and if it had any noticeable long term and beficial impact with regards to general mental health. Or, more than likely, is it a scam to rip off tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

You don't have to go to South America. If you go to Berlin, for example, you'll be able to get a supply.

Read this account Ayahuasca Will Make You Cry, Vomit, and Feel Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I have.

What do you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Joe Rogan has a really good podcast episode or two on it. Can't be definite because it was a while back, but I think it was with this guy (who also has a podcast on that very subject) - http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-addictive-podcast/e/dimethyltryptamine-dmt-with-seth-fitzgerald-tap017-41873012

DMT is the active element in ayahuasca as best I know, you can see people take it on youtube basically like a bong rather than chugging litres of dirty mud water. Would also agree with the poster who said to get some mushies and/or salvia first - tried them years ago once or twice and had a great laugh, but I imagine something much stronger without knowing what you are going into could turn pretty terrifying, pretty quickly. I've heart DMT referred to as being like mushrooms, but 100x stronger in terms of the depth of trip you go into (it's also very short though, 10 mins but people have come out saying they like they were on their trip for years).

EDIT: Someone with a much better idea what they're talking about than me seems to have shown up! :D

cooker3 wrote: »
    I have.

What do you want to know?

Did you gain any long term benefits? Was it a positive experience ? Would you do it again ?

Did you gain any long term benefits?
    No but there was no long term negatives either.
    Was it a positive experience ?
    Hmmmn was it positive, I'm not sure I would say that. It was interesting though.

So to give a brief description of what happened. I am just back home after 18 months in Latin America. I did it in the Amazon forest in Peru late last year #humblebrag. The city it was organised from was Iquitos which is biggest city in the world that doesn't have a connected road. You can organise tours through Amazon rainforest and river (city is on Amazon river) and also do Ayahuasca as well. Just to say it is very common there. It's like drinking in Ireland, it's not a big deal to locals at all. That was true pretty much anywhere in this whole region. It's also completely legal.

I did it with a friend who I met on road and an American who joined us. The ceremony consisted of us sitting there with 2 "shamans" who are playing music and signing throughout. Obviously my sense of time is not 100% solid but I'd say it lasted 2-3 hours. The drink is given in a cup and you just down it. I'd say it was around 100ml. It tastes fowl. I was fine for 10-15 minutes and then I was quickly not. I puked up a bit and had a major headache. This is when the visions happens. Obviously I can't fully do justice but the visions are just intense super colourful lines, shapes etc. The episode of The Simpsons was Homer takes some stuff in an Indian reserve gives an actual reasonable idea of it. I went through 3 waves. I had the puking, headache and visions for about 30 mins, then I felt fine for 30-45 mins. I got a second wave although never got sick so that wave was the best wave as I really concentrated on what I was seeing. I always knew where I was and understood what was happening so I could just let it pass over me without losing it etc. That lasted for another 30 minutes. I felt better again and the ceremony ended soon after. The girls went to sleep and they felt fine although we were all a bit zonked but for whatever reason I got hit by a 3rd wave. At this point I was kinda over it and it was a really brutal headache but that lasted 30 minutes and I went to bed. Next day I was ok.
    Would you do it again ?
    If you could guarantee I wouldn't have the headache again I would be open to it but I don't think I would want it otherwise. The visions only happened with headaches so you know. I gained no deep meaningful insight. To be fair I wasn't looking for it. I am the least "spiritual" person you will ever meet. I'm not religious and have no real time for "alternative therapies" So I was just giving a go to see what happened but had no real goal to it.
    The American who was with us was a massive hippy. She practically orgasimed during the ceremony and said to me afterwards she saw "energies" and a "spirit guide" so I think there is an element of your own beliefs play a part in what you see, feel and experience.

I guess to answer the implicit question should you do it. Well up to you but I wouldn't say not to. Try to do it with someone you know or in a group you feel comfortable with. Price wise you are looking around 100-150 soles which is somewhere around 30-45 euro. I am not sure about other countries but assume it's roughly same although probably more in the Brazilian Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I did it with a friend who I met on road an American who joined us. There ceremony consisted of us sitting there with 2 "shamans" who are playing music and signing throughout. Obviously my sense of time is not 100% solid but I'd say it lasted 2-3 hours. The drink is given in a cup and you just down it. I'd say it was around 100ml. It tastes fowl. I was fine for 10-15 minutes and then I was quickly not. I puked up a bit and had a major headache. This is when the visions happens. Obviously I can't fully do justice but the visions are just intense super colourful lines, shapes etc. The episode of The Simpsons was Homer takes some stuff in an Indian reserve gives an actual reasonable idea of it. I went through 3 waves. I had the puking, headache and visions for about 30 mins, then I felt fine for 30-45 mins. I got a second wave although never got sick so that wave was the best wave as I really concentrated on what I was seeing. I always knew where I was and understood what was happening so I could just let it pass over me without losing it etc. That lasted for another 30 minutes. I felt better again and the ceremony ended soon after. The girls went to sleep and they felt fine although we were all a bit zonked but for whatever reason I got hit by a 3rd wave. At this point I was kinda over it and it was a really brutal headache but that lasted 30 minutes and I went to bed. Next day I was ok.

Sounds like such a spiritual experience.

• Advertisement

Well I put in quotation marks as it obviously depends how you define it. You could call it that if you want. I wouldn't but *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Donne

How does it compare to an LSD tab or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Donne wrote: »
    How does it compare to an LSD tab or two?

Jay Koblenz of Motorcycle Consumer News commented "The Hayabusa is Speed in all its glory. But Speed is not all the Hayabusa is".

Jay Koblenz of Motorcycle Consumer News commented "The Hayabusa is Speed in all its glory. But Speed is not all the Hayabusa is".

Are you being on purpose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

If you haven't tripped before taking ayahuasca in a foreign country is throwing yourself in at the deep end...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would do it but I would insist on being strapped down in a chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Prinks

Especially the puking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Aka DMT. Aye a few times. Not freebase, used a caapi leaf Hard to describe. So much more intense than acid or shrooms. You're nearing cacti psychedelics imo. Short (about half hour) but vivid intense out of body experiences. Many will ask if you crossed over. You'll know if you do. Enjoy but be responsible and be safe.

Edit to add: person above is right about foreign trip not being best for first time. Try it at home in comfortable surroundings first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

No but there was no long term negatives either.

Hmmmn was it positive, I'm not sure I would say that. It was interesting though.

So to give a brief description of what happened. I am just back home after 18 months in Latin America. I did it in the Amazon forest in Peru late last year #humblebrag. The city it was organised from was Iquitos which is biggest city in the world that doesn't have a connected road. You can organise tours through Amazon rainforest and river (city is on Amazon river) and also do Ayahuasca as well. Just to say it is very common there. It's like drinking in Ireland, it's not a big deal to locals at all. That was true pretty much anywhere in this whole region. It's also completely legal.

I did it with a friend who I met on road and an American who joined us. The ceremony consisted of us sitting there with 2 "shamans" who are playing music and signing throughout. Obviously my sense of time is not 100% solid but I'd say it lasted 2-3 hours. The drink is given in a cup and you just down it. I'd say it was around 100ml. It tastes fowl. I was fine for 10-15 minutes and then I was quickly not. I puked up a bit and had a major headache. This is when the visions happens. Obviously I can't fully do justice but the visions are just intense super colourful lines, shapes etc. The episode of The Simpsons was Homer takes some stuff in an Indian reserve gives an actual reasonable idea of it. I went through 3 waves. I had the puking, headache and visions for about 30 mins, then I felt fine for 30-45 mins. I got a second wave although never got sick so that wave was the best wave as I really concentrated on what I was seeing. I always knew where I was and understood what was happening so I could just let it pass over me without losing it etc. That lasted for another 30 minutes. I felt better again and the ceremony ended soon after. The girls went to sleep and they felt fine although we were all a bit zonked but for whatever reason I got hit by a 3rd wave. At this point I was kinda over it and it was a really brutal headache but that lasted 30 minutes and I went to bed. Next day I was ok.

If you could guarantee I wouldn't have the headache again I would be open to it but I don't think I would want it otherwise. The visions only happened with headaches so you know. I gained no deep meaningful insight. To be fair I wasn't looking for it. I am the least "spiritual" person you will ever meet. I'm not religious and have no real time for "alternative therapies" So I was just giving a go to see what happened but had no real goal to it.
    The American who was with us was a massive hippy. She practically orgasimed during the ceremony and said to me afterwards she saw "energies" and a "spirit guide" so I think there is an element of your own beliefs play a part in what you see, feel and experience.

I guess to answer the implicit question should you do it. Well up to you but I wouldn't say not to. Try to do it with someone you know or in a group you feel comfortable with. Price wise you are looking around 100-150 soles which is somewhere around 30-45 euro. I am not sure about other countries but assume it's roughly same although probably more in the Brazilian Amazon.

Wow. Completely different to what I had. We. Smoked the caapi through a bong and I did it in the comfort of my home. No puking but visuals as described. Must be different to what OP is enquiring (despite being DMT).

Edit had to check and Changa is what we had. Not done in years but recommended for the ultimate trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Donne wrote: »
    You don't have to go to South America. If you go to Berlin, for example, you'll be able to get a supply.

Read this account Ayahuasca Will Make You Cry, Vomit, and Feel Amazing.

You don't even have to leave the country for ceremonies

Advertisement