Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alert: Holiday home fraudsters on the move

Options
  • 07-04-2017 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

AH is the most read forum - or like telling a secret to the village gossip ...
    So word gets round, I hope. In this case for a good cause.

The story:
    My elderly neighbours are renting a holiday cottage. They had a booking from Mid-March for three weeks from a German couple. The couple paid the deposit of 100 Euro and disappeared cloak and dagger shortly before the 3 weeks were over without notice or any payment.

Their e-mail address is defunct by now, as is their mobile number, the only contacts my neighbours had. They seem to be untraceable. I tried hard to trace them, I know my way around research.

Since I'm German myself I contacted the German police in the town where I eventually could trace the couple, at least at their last known address. I encouraged my neighbours to contact the local guards, too.

My request know is that everyone who knows people who rent privately holiday homes (or even longterm rents) will please inform them that there is a German couple around that tries to cheat.

I know the names they gave to my neighbours, don't know if I'm allowed to publish them. But the description:

The man is tall, slim in his fifties, I guess, fair with very short hair and wears glasses, the woman is rather chubby, dark haired with shoulder long hair and in her early forties.
    Last time they had a red hired compact car with a 171 number.

The most distinguished thing is that they travel with guinea pigs in cages, to my neighbours dismay, since they have a no pet policy for their holiday home.

Please alert everyone you know who rents houses in the country side. They seem to choose remote places to exploit the friendlyness of people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Vee haff ways of making you stalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Vee haff ways of making you stalk

Thank you very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Biggie covered this - "that goddam credit? Deddit." Pay before or jog on. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Carry wrote: »
    The couple paid the deposit of 100 Euro and disappeared cloak and dagger shortly before the 3 weeks were over without notice or any payment.
    Who doesn't demand payment up front from holiday makers?

I'm not sure if it's a stupidity tax or it's a made up story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Should be easy enough spot a German couple travelling in a cage with some Guinea pigs.
    I'll keep a look out

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »

You see, this is an elderly couple (in their eighties) who rent that cottage and so far that I know never had a bad experience. It's not a stupidity tax whatever that means. And it's not the point anyway.

I simply feel protective of my neighbours, especially since they are quite, well, innocent.They pay their taxes, though - they are actually that law-abiding and inncocent.

Maybe I'll wait until more mature people wil answer or at least spread the word about those fraudsters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Were they the Nihilists Carry?

What makes you think they are still in the country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Did you get on to Joseph about this op?

What makes you think they are still in the country?

I can't be sure of course. But they had loads of belongings in the holiday home, not the usual holiday luggage. And they told the landlords that they are moving to Ireland for good.

----

The landlords are an Irish elderly couple, by the way. And they are upset and I'm highly protective. So the rest of you leave the snark remarks about your prejudices about holiday landlords landlords and Germans as such. Or else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm sure these fraudsters will eventually be caught.

OP - don't mind the eejits responding. It's Friday night and they are probably drunk/on drugs.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm sure these fraudsters will eventually be caught.

OP - don't mind the eejits responding. It's Friday night and they are probably drunk/on drugs.:rolleyes:

3 glasses of Guinness. I'm such a pixie head.

Fwiw they're welcome to stay at mine no questions asked. The marmots might need vetting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

It's a harsh lesson learned OP. Payment up front or sadly you are open to getting cheated.
    No point putting the country on a witch hunt for German couples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Darwin award to the owners of the house.
    Not getting payment in full before rental period starts is bizarre!

Sounds pretty ingenious

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »

I'm betting there's no German couple.

My money is on them turning out to be Dutch displaying their frugal nature.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you spot the couple, don't mention the war

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Fair play to you OP. Your heart is in the right place. I know a B&B owner and I will certainly be letting them know about these fraudsters. Even if they did pay up front, who wants thieves under their roof?

Advertisement