Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The threat posed to bees by neonicotinoid pesticides is greater than perceived

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭nekuchi

How do you know if an ordinary pesticide (say greenfly/bug killer) contains neonicotinoids? Is there a specific 'ingredient' that I should look for?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thelord

There is a list of 7 different neonicotinoid insecticides on Wikipedia:

Acetamiprid
    Clothianidin
    Dinotefuran
    Imidacloprid
    Nitenpyram
    Thiacloprid
    Thiamethoxam

Some say that Sulfoxaflor is also a neonicotinoid, but not everyone agrees with this.

The neonicotinoid insecticide that is most commonly used is Imidacloprid. I'm not sure if manufacturers are obliged to put the name of these substances on all their products, so these names might not show up on a product.

Brands

Bayer is the company that has invented Imidacloprid and also seems to sell the most products that have this stuff in them, so careful when buying stuff from them. Other brand names:

Admire, Advantage (Advocate) (flea killer for pets), Confidor, Conguard, Gaucho, Hachikusan, Intercept, Kohinor, Mallet, Maxforce Quantum, Merit, Nuprid, Optrol, Premise, Prothor, Provado, Turfthor, Temprid (Bayer), Winner, and Xytect (source wikipedia)

I also found this list with products that contain neonicotinoids, but there is no date so I’m not sure how old the list is and if it is complete (probably not). The EU has decided that all countries have 1 year to start with the ban, so it’s possible that products with neonicotinoids in them are still being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thelord

Bayer and Syngenta criticised for secrecy after unpublished research obtained under freedom of information law linked high doses of their products to damage to the health of bee colonies

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/22/pesticide-manufacturers-own-tests-reveal-serious-harm-to-honeybees

Advertisement