Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which keyboard to buy?

Options
  • 07-04-2017 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm taking up the piano and want to buy a second hand keyboard to get started but I haven't a clue which one to buy. Has anyone any advice on which make to get. There are several on done Deal under €700 which would suit my budget. And help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Are you open to the idea of a MIDI Keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭azul

Passenger wrote: »
    Are you open to the idea of a MIDI Keyboard?

Hi and thanks for replying. To be honest I haven't a clue what a MIDI keyboard is. I'd like something that is as close as possible to a piano possible with a weighted keyboard but that's probably out of my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ah okay. A MIDI Keyboard can be connected to your computer which would be running audio software such as GarageBand, Logic, Cubase, etc. It triggers sounds and effects and can be played like a traditional piano. Very versatile and handy for recording and might be worth looking in to. Plenty of videos and demo's on YouTube worth a gander.

B00125OD9Q-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭azul

Thanks so much for that information, I'll check them out. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 34 murmer

azul wrote: »
    I'm taking up the piano and want to buy a second hand keyboard to get started but I haven't a clue which one to buy. Has anyone any advice on which make to get. There are several on done Deal under €700 which would suit my budget. And help appreciated.

Hey there,

Sounds like you are looking for a digital piano, good cheaper brands are Yamaha and Roland, you should be able to get a decent 2nd hand one for around 500e if you look on adverts.ie

Good luck!

• Advertisement

With the MIDI keyboard route, you need a decent tablet/laptop/computer to run the software and sounds so there's that expense to consider with MIDI keyboards.

Learning piano and keyboard are two different things. For a start, with the piano, you just sit down and play. With keyboards and synthesis you also have to learn how to use the gear, how to create/blend sounds, then there's endless bells and whistles to distract you from the actual playing.

If you are just starting out at the piano and need to learn how to play first, I would recommend something closer to an actual piano/digital piano. As opposed to a fully equipped keyboard workstation stocked with drumbeats, sound fx and sequencers. Maybe you are looking for those things though, but from your OP I gather you just want to start playing music on the piano.

Whatever you buy, there's the following to look out for....

1) The action (how the instrument feels to play) is completely different between pianos and cheaper keyboards. Learning on the heavier ivory-like piano/digital piano keys will stand to you and your finger strength/dexterity in the long run. Rather than on the cheap plastic keys on lower-end keyboards.

2) Touch sensitivity (if the keys sound louder or quieter depending on how hard/soft you hit them) - You want this and in this day and age, it should be a given on most new digital pianos/keyboards sold.

3) Number of keys. The standards on a keyboard are usually 61, 73 and 88. 88 keys are the same amount as a regular piano and ideal as a base for learning. 73 won't badly limit your learning or enjoyment, I wouldn't recommend 61 for you though.

3) Speakers and a sustain pedal. Unless you are getting an acoustic piano (upright, grand) you will be buying something digital. Therefore make sure there are speakers on board or at least a headphones output. Also, part of playing the piano or using many of the other sounds on board a digital piano involves using a sustain pedal, it should be included but you do want this if it's not there.

I just had a quick search on adverts to try and find an example for something I'd recommend within your budget. I promise I am not associated with this ad, just using it as an example...

http://www.adverts.ie/pianos/yamaha-p115-digital-piano/12496627

That ad appears to have offer accepted, but more importantly, it seems you would get that digital piano brand new with a stand, bench, headphones and warranty for eur682 at the below link...

http://www.gear4music.ie/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Yamaha-P-115-Digital-Piano-Black-Inc-Stand-Bench-and-Headphones/18XN?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5kHnyKA4-PxcvLKmYCINTz8WDSliLcOCqbaxyghi80URoCaxPw_wcB

There's also the likes of this digital piano from Korg...

https://www.thomann.de/ie/prod_AR_305889.htm?ref=search_rslt_korg+sp280_305889_0

For digital, names like Yamaha, Korg and Roland shouldn't see you wrong.

Keep in mind also, you could pick up an acoustic piano second-hand, upright likely, within your budget. I got a very nice upright piano on a local bump'n'sell page last year for eur175. There was the cost of moving it (eur200) and the cost of tuning it (eur150) but for under 550 I got a highly playable, nice sounding instrument.

All the best and feel free to post any links here for further opinions before you make a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

your description screams digital piano.

As previously stated Yamaha or Roland..... go for the full sized 88 note keyboard rather than the slightly shorter ones.

I've seen Yamaha Clavinovas go for £200 every month on eBay

we got our clavinova new in about 95 and it's still going strong!

Advertisement