Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level of detail to be expecting in BER report

Options
  • 07-04-2017 2:35pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just received the BER on a property we are planning to buy (older semi-detatched) and it has come back as D1 (barely above D2 at 257.42kWh/m2/year.

I'm surprised by a few things as I was expecting it would have been higher. A few questions...

1) The report we received is incredibly sparse. Barring the cut and paste recommendations, there detail is incredibly sparse. EG, regarding flooring. it says "part of the floor has a U-Value less than 1 and greater/equal to 0.6."

What part? Surely they could have stated which part of the floor they were referring to?

2) The house is brick build semi-detached. Oil heating with a new boiler fitted two years ago. Triple glazing installed throughout the house.

I was expecting that to raise the property to perhaps a C3?

3) Can I ring the BER assessor to discuss the report in more detail?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,141 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just received the BER on a property we are planning to buy (older semi-detatched) and it has come back as D1 (barely above D2 at 257.42kWh/m2/year.

I'm surprised by a few things as I was expecting it would have been higher. A few questions...

1) The report we received is incredibly sparse. Barring the cut and paste recommendations, there detail is incredibly sparse. EG, regarding flooring. it says "part of the floor has a U-Value less than 1 and greater/equal to 0.6."

What part? Surely they could have stated which part of the floor they were referring to?

2) The house is brick build semi-detached. Oil heating with a new boiler fitted two years ago. Triple glazing installed throughout the house.

I was expecting that to raise the property to perhaps a C3?

3) Can I ring the BER assessor to discuss the report in more detail?

there is an "advisory report" automatically generated by the software and thats most likely what you have.

The assessor has no (practically) input into what is in that report.

The BER certification is legally required by the seller, and not the vendor, so there is no appetite to have anything specific in these reports other than generic statements.

on the phone call, most assessor would have no problem taking a quick phone call.. but dont expect anything for free if you are looking for professional advise as to how best to improve the rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

The floor U-value is based on the age of the house, and the ratio of perimeter to floor area. Older houses have less or no insulation. The assessor cannot access floor insulation itself, and they are not expected to be able to see or measure it. Bigger floors have less exposed perimeter, which is measured, and improves things.
    The fact that it says "part" of the floor indicates that more than one type of floor was considered, so one floor is probably a newer extension. Or maybe part is solid concrete, and part is a suspended timber floor. A cowboy assessor would not have bothered differentiating the house into separate floor types.

Without the new boiler and windows, this house was probably an E or F rating. Most likely the walls and attic could do with an insulation upgrade. Solar PV might be an option. So you still have plenty of scope to get up to that C rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

As Syd said, BER is for the seller not the buyer, or the owner after the works are done not before. Its result is insignificant as it dosent carry any responsibility. If you contact the provider of BER Cert, and if they are qualified enough, they may be interested in doing a proper audit, with specific recommendations and even cost same for you. While the report may mention many areas, it may not make any sense (financial or otherwise) to do something about them all - you need to look at reducing energy requirement rather than creating cost efficient or renewable energy.

When i started doing BER's and getting "proper money" for them, i would issue a separate audit report and go into more detail on all areas covered by the SEAI report (proper advice on what to do and what not to do, who to talk to, etc.) But when your fees get cut by 50% or more, this service is then not possible to undertake and also make a living.
    Some people only want to pay bear minimum (and only get the minimum as a result) - supply and demand. I now mainly only do new houses for developers, get involved at pre-planning stage with specifications and prov. BER's.

When you buy your cornflakes from a discount retailer to save a few quid, you cant start complaining that it doesn't taste like Kelloggs.

Advertisement