Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan insurance

Options
  • 07-04-2017 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all

Not sure this is the right place to post but someone might be able to help,

I want to hire a caravan and do some touring in the summer ( young family ect) but my car insurance does not cover towing a caravan, what options are there for me to cover it for a short period,
    The insurance company said they do not cover caravans,

I'm waiting for the hire company to get back to me to see if they offer anything but I'd like to see if there are any other options

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi all

Not sure this is the right place to post but someone might be able to help,

I want to hire a caravan and do some touring in the summer ( young family ect) but my car insurance does not cover towing a caravan, what options are there for me to cover it for a short period,
    The insurance company said they do not cover caravans,

I'm waiting for the hire company to get back to me to see if they offer anything but I'd like to see if there are any other options

Thanks,

AFAIK every insurance policy must cover towing a trailer/caravan within legal weights allowed for your car/licence.
    This would be third party cover only though, but makes your driving/towing legal.

If you are looking for extra comprehensive cover which would pay for damage to caravan in case you damage it, then this is separate matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

CiniO wrote: »
    AFAIK every insurance policy must cover towing a trailer/caravan within legal weights allowed for your car/licence.
    This would be third party cover only though, but makes your driving/towing legal.

If you are looking for extra comprehensive cover which would pay for damage to caravan in case you damage it, then this is separate matter.

Trailer and caravan are two different things.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Trailer and caravan are two different things.

Visually yes.
    Legally (for purpose of insurance) not.

F.e.
    "trailer" means a vehicle attached to a mechanically propelled vehicle (or to another vehicle attached to a mechanically propelled vehicle) or a vehicle constructed or adapted for the purpose of being drawn by a mechanically propelled vehicle.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/347/made/en/print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Should be able to add it to your house insurance, but not sure how they will handle it as you wont own it. Used to do this when I owned one, but wasn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Insurance company won't provide any cover to tow a caravan just say no they don't cover Caravans,

• Advertisement

eiei0 wrote: »
    Insurance company won't provide any cover to tow a caravan just say no they don't cover Caravans,

They possibly don't cover caravans for damage, but they still must insure you third party while you're towing a caravan legally for possibly damage you cause to other people by your own fault with your car or your caravan.

Advertisement