Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it hard or soft?

Options
  • 07-04-2017 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

How do I find out if the water in my area is hard or soft? I've Google and can only find a questionnaire thing from DCC which doesn't really answer the question. Also which is the good one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

How do I find out if the water in my area is hard or soft? I've Google and can only find a questionnaire thing from DCC which doesn't really answer the question. Also which is the good one?

Do you have a buildup of limescale on your sink top and in the kettle, has your shower cap been clogged up or jebus forbid your washing machine conked out- if so you have Hard water.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Soap doesn't lather very well in hard water.
    If you get loads of suds, you've got yourself some soft water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Soft is good. No lime in the water.

You'll know it's hard if there is limescale in your kettle. Probably means you live in a limestone area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm disappointed that you didn't start this thread with "Hi Everybody!"

Excellent thread title though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Make a cup of tea. If you get a film of "scum" on the top, then you've got hard water. If not, enjoy your tea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Tayschren wrote: »
    Do you have a buildup of limescale on your sink top and in the kettle, has your shower cap been clogged up or jebus forbid your washing machine conked out- if so you have Hard water.

No to all. Just bought some descaler for my iron and nespresso maker just cause you're supposed to (even though I bought both years ago and nothing particularly wrong with them). If they're not giving me trouble Should I go to the trouble of descaling?

Boom bap suds aren't an issue. My bubble bath :pac: goes "flat" very quickly.

I guess I'm lucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Make a cup of tea. If you get a film of "scum" on the top, then you've got hard water. If not, enjoy your tea.

Not a tea drinker but would same apply to coffee? I guess I've established that it's a soft water area. Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Punch the water. If it punches you back it's hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

biko wrote:
    Punch the water. If it punches you back it's hard.

If it's not from a public scheme then your water's well hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

You could go to a local pet shop and ask for a water hardness test kit, the usual one is a GH test. Should only cost between €10-20. You can get sets of test strips as well that show lots of parameters, hardness, pH, nitrites, nitrates and maybe even phosphate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Idea from chemical knowledge but not tested: put a little water in a glass, and add some vinegar. If you see fizzing, it's probably hard water.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Hard water- thats ice isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Hard water- thats ice isn't it?

No speculation!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No to all. Just bought some descaler for my iron and nespresso maker just cause you're supposed to (even though I bought both years ago and nothing particularly wrong with them). If they're not giving me trouble Should I go to the trouble of descaling?

Boom bap suds aren't an issue. My bubble bath :pac: goes "flat" very quickly.

I guess I'm lucky?

If there is no scale then you dont need to descale!!!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I've Google

We all have Google.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

If in doubt just drink your own urine.

If in doubt just drink your own urine.

What if it's hard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Ted111 wrote: »
    What if it's hard?

Wait till your in 6th class you will learn all about it.

Wait till your in 6th class you will learn all about it.

I don't want to wait.

• Advertisement
Advertisement