Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K Blu Rays

Options
  • 07-04-2017 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

So then with the rise of 4K Blu rays now kind of coming mainstream who has made the huge change over and starting to buy them ?. And what do you think of them ?.

I was in CEX in London and they had a crazy amount of them for 10 pounds each about 12 euros 2nd hand a crazy good price so i picked up a few of them.

I find them fantastic when its a proper 4K rip of the film in HDR like it makes 1080P look bad and thats crazy to think that Blu rays that i still think are great are made look bad by it.

I have streamed 4K Netflix countless times but thats no way the standards of a proper disk in my books thanks to the lower bit rate it streams at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

Have an Xbox one S which plays them. Have bought the revenant, life of pi and planet earth 2. They look class. Better than anything on Netflix.

They're still too expensive to buy loads but i keep an eye on a price drop thread on avsforums. Will pick up the Martian at some point and want to try an older movie. Goodfellas gets good reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Buttros wrote: »
    Have an Xbox one S which plays them. Have bought the revenant, life of pi and planet earth 2. They look class. Better than anything on Netflix.

They're still too expensive to buy loads but i keep an eye on a price drop thread on avsforums. Will pick up the Martian at some point and want to try an older movie. Goodfellas gets good reviews.

Way to costly at the moment in time.

Picked up the Martian there for 10 pounds in cex and must are around that range in the UK 2nd basicly the price I have no problem paying. They really are a huge step up compare to Blu ray on the right tv. I am also useing a Xbox one s that's the only reason why I changed over from the fat one.

But considering I have no problem paying 25 euros for vinyl I don't see why I have a problem paying that for a film haha

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we upgraded our tvs recently to 4k and i bought Fantastic beasts 4k blu ray and it turns out we only have a 4k upscalling BD player and it wont play the 4k disc. looking to buy a 4k UHD bd player but my god there expensive (Cheapest is E300). Not a big gamer and own a first generation PS4 so not going the XBox one S route.

Im buying less and less blu rays/dvds are year now than i usually do but as i paid a lot for the tv i want the best experience possible. Theres a few 4k blu rays i intend to buy in the coming months (Kong Skull Island, Assasians Creed, Logan, few mcu/dcu ones etc)

Might wait til the summer to buy a 4k player as i knw will go down, there only expensive atm cause its new technology

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

PTH2009 wrote: »
    we upgraded our tvs recently to 4k and i bought Fantastic beasts 4k blu ray and it turns out we only have a 4k upscalling BD player and it wont play the 4k disc. looking to buy a 4k UHD bd player but my god there expensive (Cheapest is E300). Not a big gamer and own a first generation PS4 so not going the XBox one S route.

Im buying less and less blu rays/dvds are year now than i usually do but as i paid a lot for the tv i want the best experience possible. Theres a few 4k blu rays i intend to buy in the coming months (Kong Skull Island, Assasians Creed, Logan, few mcu/dcu ones etc)

Might wait til the summer to buy a 4k player as i knw will go down, there only expensive atm cause its new technology

DID have a Samsung with 3 films for 250.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

When buying UHD Blu-rays, be careful to avoid the fake "Mastered in 4k" discs.

• Advertisement

When buying UHD Blu-rays, be careful to avoid the fake "Mastered in 4k" discs.

There is even some proper 4k disks that say there 4k but only come from a 2180p rip and are up res to 4K. I think kingsman is one of them.

There a fee months back I got a great box set on amazon of 6 4k films for I think it was 40 euros. A few good films and a few crap ones but great to start out the 4k sets.

Next buy for me is LA LA land on 4k

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, as we learned with Blu-ray, up-resing is to be expected in the early years of a new format.

Tbh I think it's too early for 4k. Many of the studios still haven't gotten the hang of how to do proper 1080p Blu-ray. It's part of the reason I mostly stopped buying Blu-rays. I was buying too many films a second time because the first attempt was some crappy encode scrubbed of all grain or had some other stupid mistake. I was spending more time researching different versions of a Blu-ray than I was watching the damn things.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I imagine a very good hdmi cable is needed too

I got 3 of these ones a while a go https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002U38E9O/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And there very good but the real test for them will be on a 4k disc.

I got 3 of these ones a while a go https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002U38E9O/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And there very good but the real test for them will be on a 4k disc.

Makes absolutely no difference.

HDMI no difference what so ever I use the ones I got with my Xbox one S and PS4 pro and they run 4K HDR in 10 BIT perfect on my panasonic as the cables are digital you can spend 100 euros or 1.49 there the same cable .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

PTH2009 wrote:

Tbh I think it's too early for 4k. Many of the studios still haven't gotten the hang of how to do proper 1080p Blu-ray. It's part of the reason I mostly stopped buying Blu-rays. I was buying too many films a second time because the first attempt was some crappy encode scrubbed of all grain or had some other stupid mistake. I was spending more time researching different versions of a Blu-ray than I was watching the damn things.

Check out bluray.com reviews on transfers before buying, I'd never buy a blu ray disc without details on its transfer quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how big a screen would you notice the difference for 4k blu ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

fryup wrote: »
    how big a screen would you notice the difference for 4k blu ray?

At least 55".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Are there any physical stores in Ireland selling new UHD releases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Doubt it. Business reason: At the moment, well off Mr Joe Average who does'nt know much about 'pluters owns a piece of consumer electronics for playing Blue Ray called a Blu Ray player. This will most likely not be able to play UHD DVDs.

There is no Business case yet for purchasing UHD releases.

You will have to wait 2 years at least to be able to purchase UHD releaseses in a bricks and mortar store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Are there any physical stores in Ireland selling new UHD releases?

Tower Records have a fairly large selection of 4K blu-ray discs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Golden Discs sell the 4k UHD discs they tend to be € 5/10 more expensive than blu rays and twice as much as DVD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

jh79 wrote: »
    At least 55".

I have 49" and it the 4K really stands out.

I have a UHD player and a fair few films. Dunkirk and Logan are the best i've seen in terms of 4K.

Advertisement