Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport from airport.

Options
  • 06-04-2017 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello commuting forum,

I expect a relative to arrive for a prolonged visit on Easter Sunday ( April 16th).

However given that the talks on resolving the bus strike are going nowhere fast ( oh puns...) I fear that she may be in difficulty upon arrival at Dublin airport, particularly as I do not drive.

I would be most grateful if anyone could provide some data on travel to my home ijust outside Kells in North Meath either directly or through Dublin city centre.
    Ideally I would hope to avoid an expensive taxi fare to Meath but I realise that we live in challenging times!
    For extra points : the relative in question is a young girl, I would consider it preferable to be at the airport to greet her.

So in summary, is it possible to get to/from the airport during a bus strike using private coaches or some other affordable means.

Many thanks to all for taking the time to read this and for any advice available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What time is she landing at?

That might help those who know more. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mrstannis

1:00 PM Easter Sunday.
    Many thanks for your sentiments!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sillans run from Shercock to Dublin via Kingscourt, Nobber, Wilkenstown and Navan. Only two buses of a Sunday though so it may well be of little use to you.

www.sillans.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

www.a-b.ie

Check there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just be aware that it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Sinn Fein or some other crowd who get a kick out of blocking traffic will hold some kind of 'commemoration' to mark the anniversary of the Easter Rising so if planning to meet up, try to avoid doing so in the city centre on that Sunday or (for anyone else) on Easter Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

In previous years, Sillan Tours did not operate its Sunday services, on the Sunday of a Bank Holiday weekend. On the Bank Holiday Mondays, it operated the Sunday timetable.

That used to be the case, but I don't know if that is the case, this year.

(On Sundays they used to have only one bus up in the evening to Dublin from Shercock and one bus home at 8.30pm from Parnell Street, and on the Sunday of a Bank Holiday, it didn't run any service but operated a Sunday timetable on the Ban Holiday Monday).

In recent months they have started running an early morning bus to Dublin on Saturdays and Sundays, from Shercock at 5.45am, and have added an earlier bus, from Dublin, on Saturdays and Sundays at 4.35pm, so perhaps make contact with them to make sure, what services they are operating on Easter Sunday.

Sillan Tours phone is 042 966 9130.

It states on its website, under the FAQ section, that:

"We have a reduced service on Bank Holiday Sundays and Mondays. These are listed on our timetable page. Keep an eye on our facebook page for Regular updates".

http://sillan.ie/bus-timetables

www.sillan.ie

Other coach companies, that may be an option for you are;

Matthews Coaches between Dublin, Drogheda and Dundalk,

and

Collins Coaches that cover Carrickmacross, Ardee, Collon, Slane and Dublin.

It states on Collins website that on Easter Sunday, the timetable will be:

"Easter Sunday - Sunday Timetable Except No Evening Motorway Services".

http://commuter.matthews.ie/index.php/timetables

http://collinscoaches.ie/images/collins_coaches_timetable_from_dublin_oct_2016.pdf

http://collinscoaches.ie/

Aircoach operate a 24 hour service between Dublin City Centre and the Dublin Airport

www.aircoach.ie

http://aircoach.ie/timetables/route-700-dublin-airport-dublin-city-centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

coylemj wrote: »
    Just be aware that it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Sinn Fein or some other crowd who get a kick out of blocking traffic will hold some kind of 'commemoration' to mark the anniversary of the Easter Rising so if planning to meet up, try to avoid doing so in the city centre on that Sunday or (for anyone else) on Easter Monday.

Some other crowd (our government) are indeed holding a commemoration for the Rising on Easter Sunday, as is the norm.

I don't know if the government get a kick out of blocking traffic, but damn, they're good at it with the endless Luas construction!

Advertisement