Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which apple laptop should I buy?

Options
  • 06-04-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Upgrading from MacBook air 2011 version which has broken.
    I prize battery life, portability and good keyboards. I don't think its worth my paying a lot for the 12 inch MacBook given the price and apparently poor keyboard. Should I get a 13 inch MacBook pro (apparently the 2015 one has a better keyboard)? or maybe just upgrade to a newer MacBook air? The 2015 pro is slightly bulky for my liking but apparently the lighter 2016 one has a poor keyboard?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think your best bet is to try the keyboard on the various models before making a decision. I've tried the slim Macbook's keyboard and it's not bad. It's just different, with little travel. I'd say it's more that it just takes a bit of getting used to rather than it being bad.

The Macbook Air is very long in the tooth at this stage, and is quite old school for the money, I think you'd be better with the Macbook if you can live with the lack of ports. The latest Macbook Pro is a nice machine, but the price is nuts and the touch screen models are a bit odd perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

I think your best bet is to try the keyboard on the various models before making a decision. I've tried the slim Macbook's keyboard and it's not bad. It's just different, with little travel. I'd say it's more that it just takes a bit of getting used to rather than it being bad.

The Macbook Air is very long in the tooth at this stage, and is quite old school for the money, I think you'd be better with the Macbook if you can live with the lack of ports. The latest Macbook Pro is a nice machine, but the price is nuts and the touch screen models are a bit odd perhaps.
    I can see the Air is long in the tooth but do you think I really need the Macbook given my basic usage (typing, few vidoes, web browsing). The lack of ports wouldn't bother me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I can see the Air is long in the tooth but do you think I really need the Macbook given my basic usage (typing, few vidoes, web browsing). The lack of ports wouldn't bother me

You can do all of your computing on a basic Windows laptop. But if you want a Mac, and have the cash then so be it!

You could essentially name your price. 500->1000->2000 all will do what you need. Some will be nicer to use, and have better screens or be slightly faster. But whether that's worth the €€€ is entirely up to you!

Advertisement