Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water smells terrible...

Options
  • 06-04-2017 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    I recently got a new combi boiler installed in my house along with all new pipework. The boiler is a Grant Combi 90 I believe. Anyway, when we run the hot water tap, there is a pretty bad smell from the water. I don’t really know how to describe only that it is unpleasant. The water is clear and not murky and also, the cold water tap is perfectly fine.
    Now, doing a bit of googling seems to lead me to think its Sulphur reacting with bacteria and the anode in the combi boiler when heating up. Does anyone have experience with this and the best approach to fixing.

I have talked to my plumber who never heard of the issue. He rang me and has said there is Sulphur in the water which is causing the smell and that I should get the water tested. Now I disagree obviously because the cold water is fine, and the smell only occurs when it runs through the tank to be heated.

So is there anyone who can help me address this. Replacing the boiler anodes seems to be suggested online, but that doesn’t make sense given it’s a brand new boiler…

Would contacting Grant be an option here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

you could by all means contact the technical lads in grant

very helpful bunch who would be more than happy to help if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

+1
    Talk to Grants

They do recommend water been tested, years ago, can't remember which manufacturer supplied a paper strip to test water. So it must have some significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭baldric

Hi there,I have
    Same problem exactly and wonder how you managed to sort yours, smell only in hot water, was it the anode?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭John.G

baldric wrote: »
    Hi there,I have
    Same problem exactly and wonder how you managed to sort yours, smell only in hot water, was it the anode?

Thanks

Any smell off a pot of cold water boiled on the hob?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement