Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Training Plans By Debate

Options
  • 06-04-2017 8:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Not sure if this will work but thought a thread discussing different training approaches would be interesting.

Enduro's Head to Head attempt and a group of elites doing the Belfast 24hrs has piqued my interest in how one actually trains for such events.

I'm guessing stacked up LSR's to simulate tired legs

Is there any speed work required?

I'd imagine Hill training is essential to build strength

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OWinter

If mods could change thread title from race plans to training plans that would be great. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

OWinter wrote: »
    Not sure if this will work but thought a thread discussing different training approaches would be interesting.

Enduro's Head to Head attempt and a group of elites doing the Belfast 24hrs has piqued my interest in how one actually trains for such events.

I'm guessing stacked up LSR's to simulate tired legs

Is there any speed work required?

I'd imagine Hill training is essential to build strength

I think there are a number of different approaches. Most of my training would be almost identical to a marathon training plan. Like you said, maybe a little more strength/hill training and occasional B2B LSRs but not radically different. I probably do more speed sessions than most ultra runners because I enjoy it!

I would be interested in seeing some tried and testing plans from coaches and elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'm glad the thread title is "by debate" rather than "by consensus". There is a huge amount of variation out there. There's plenty of debate on nearly every concievable aspect of ultra preparation (more than just training in the strictest sense).

The first thing I'd note is that I agree with, for want of better terminolgy, the Kouros thinking on ultra distances. There is a significant difference between what I call speed ultras versus endurance ultras. Very similar to the differences between sprinting and middle distance in track athletics. To quote Kouros :
    Ultrarunning: when one runs 45, 50, or even 100km, for me, is not an ultra-runner. The ultra-runner is a distinct being; has a distince personality. When a marathon runner of 42km runs a 50km race, he is not an Ultra runner as nothing has changed: neither his training nor his approach even if he is to run 100km as the body continues to control his movements. When you surpass not the 100km but the 100 miles mark, that is over 12 hours, or the 24 hour stage, that's the point where you show you are a unique human being. Running more than 12 or 24 hours, to my mind, that is the ultra runner. We do not race against the co-runners; they could be 100km behind us or ahead of us – we are racing against nature, clock, time, distance. Your body cannot carry you to run for 24 or 48 hours or 6 days. No one completes the race via his body but via his mind.

Speed ultras for me are events that can be trained for and raced as quite simply longer distance marathons. A good marathon programme with some tweaks would work well.

Endurance ultras.... well they're a bit different IMO!

Advertisement