Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - thoughts?

Options
  • 06-04-2017 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I've seen a PC build on adverts from a well respected seller. I'm a freelance web designer looking for a new rig.

what do you guys think of spec?

http://www.adverts.ie/12645248

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Looks good tbh. It'd run anything a web designer could throw at it anyway. The processor is good, the graphics card would help with some of the design programs and any small bits of video editing. From doing some mental math, the Tower should be around 600€ I think. The monitor and peripherals do add up to around 200€ so it's a fair price, maybe a tad high with the adverts tax applied.

Are you willing to look into building yourself? If you want, make a thread and copy the template from the stickies and we can spec you out something for you to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is my spec - would the new spec above be a good upgrade?

spec2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

No, you would see very little difference in upgrading to the linked PC. The processors are basically the same. You shouldn't be seeing any performance issues for your work with a spec like that. Is Windows installed on the SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sticker wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is my spec - would the new spec above be a good upgrade?

spec2.png

No difference at all TBH

An i7-3770(K) or LGA1155 Xeon would be the more noticeable upgrades (hyper-threading).

Alternatively, new mouse (e.g. Logitech MX Master), monitor, keyboard.
    Maybe max out the RAM

Xenoronin wrote: »
    No, you would see very little difference in upgrading to the linked PC. The processors are basically the same. You shouldn't be seeing any performance issues for your work with a spec like that. Is Windows installed on the SSD?

Yes,

but I'm seeing a lot of app hanging. I would be happy with upgrade options, but would definatley need help with the putting together.

I would happily upgrade RAM, go for the better processor...

But also look at a new Hard Drive or 2 in the bay - I've a lot of USB Drives that are dragging down the speed I think.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No difference at all TBH

An i7-3770(K) or LGA1155 Xeon would be the more noticeable upgrades (hyper-threading).

Alternatively, new mouse (e.g. Logitech MX Master), monitor, keyboard.
    Maybe max out the RAM

Thanks - Dual Monitors are actually fine, same goes for mouse and keyboard, but agree on RAM and i& chipset. See my comments above.

I would happily take advise on upgrade but would need help putting it together - I'm in Clonee if anyone is nearby - Happy to pay for someones time. I know there's a lot of talk "you'd do it in your sleep" but I'd prefer to get a little help being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

sticker wrote: »
    Thanks - Dual Monitors are actually fine, same goes for mouse and keyboard, but agree on RAM and i& chipset. See my comments above.

I would happily take advise on upgrade but would need help putting it together - I'm in Clonee if anyone is nearby - Happy to pay for someones time. I know there's a lot of talk "you'd do it in your sleep" but I'd prefer to get a little help being honest.
    I think you posted previously - is it possible the issue is all the USB drives connected?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I think you posted previously - is it possible the issue is all the USB drives connected?

Hi,

Sincere apologies for the delay in replying, there was something wrong with my Boards account hat I was not getting email notifications.

I have removed all USB and lag continues...

But more worrying, I had a major hang on the PC last night - When I came to it, a distorted blue fuzzy image...

I suspect I need to change out the windows drive. Its far too small anyway.

I want to upgrade the RAM, GFX card and possibly move to i7.

Can anyone assist me with this job? As I've said before, I'm happy to pay for install time - I can order parts if you tell me what to get - I'm in Clonee area.

This rig is my lifeblood as I am a web developer working from home so I want to get ahead of any major fault before it happens.

Thanks again!

Hi All,

So I'm still getting hangs - I want to upgrade the RAM, GFX card and possibly move to i7.

Also install a new solid state drive with a fresh windows install but I need some help.

Anyone recommend someone that I can hire to do the job for me in Dublin 15 or recommend a good PC upgrade service that I can hire?

Otherwise I'm gonna have to go with a new Dell which I really don't want to do...

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Damn, didn't see this thread, sorry OP

Have you bought the SSD yet?
    Do you have your Windows install discs / Windows key?

Also have a read through this:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2364269/windows/how-to-reinstall-windows-like-a-pro.html

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Damn, didn't see this thread, sorry OP

Have you bought the SSD yet?
    Do you have your Windows install discs / Windows key?

Also have a read through this:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2364269/windows/how-to-reinstall-windows-like-a-pro.html

Thanks for quick reply - no need to apologise!

How do I check if my windows 7 is transferable? I think I bought it as a digital copy some years ago. Is there a way to check within windows?

I've no hardware bought at all, I was hoping to pay to have the job done entire.

Anyone help me out on this request?

Thanks...

Advertisement