Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing understairs loo & installing washing machine

Options
  • 05-04-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Folks, I'm thinking of removing my understairs toilet and handbasin & installing the washing machine and dryer in their place. I'm clueless about the work involved in this so wondering if anyone has gone through this already! All advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

BredaD wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I'm thinking of removing my understairs toilet and handbasin & installing the washing machine and dryer in their place. I'm clueless about the work involved in this so wondering if anyone has gone through this already! All advice is greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't be anything major needs doing as most of the plumbing is there just needs different connections. You will need to get power into under there.

I personally don't like it, in the event of a fire from a dryer it will be under the main escape route....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

And think of whether you will be adding to the value of your house. Removing a convenience may devalue your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

wait4me wrote:
    And think of whether you will be adding to the value of your house. Removing a convenience may devalue your property.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement but for me my house is my home first and foremost. I'll have it the way I want it while I live in it. Doesn't bother me if I increase or devalue it so long as I like it.
    Personally I'd keep the loo but op if you want it out go for it. The plumbing will still be there if you ever decide to put it back. You can buy a cheap & cheerful toilet and cistern for under 100 euro. The main thing is to properly block up the soiled pipe when you remove the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BredaD

Thank you both very much. One of my sisters also asked about devaluing. I never use the loo as it doesn't have natural ventilation & by default has turned into a dumping ground! I'm planning on living here for the next few decades (if I live that long!) so not so concerned about devaluation. Really appreciate your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BredaD

Thank you so much. I hadn't thought of the fire aspect. So fewer kitchen cupboards v the risk of being roasted in my bed! Plenty to think about. I thought I'd replied to your message yesterday. I'm new to here & think I forgot to hit the "post" button!

• Advertisement
Advertisement