Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desamais surname

Options
  • 05-04-2017 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks. I've just read the charter and it states it's for Irish Irish names, so I'm hoping ye could lead me to right place if there is one.

I have a friend who was born in Vichy, France. His family are all from the Isle. We were talking about surnames and the origin of them (me, still trying to figure out if MacEochaidh is Son of the Locksmith or Son of the Horseman). A quick Google search usually brings the answer, but nothing for Desamais. I've no idea where to look other than google, so if someome could point me in the right direction, that'd be great!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hi folks. I've just read the charter and it states it's for Irish Irish names, so I'm hoping ye could lead me to right place if there is one.

I have a friend who was born in Vichy, France. His family are all from the Isle. We were talking about surnames and the origin of them (me, still trying to figure out if MacEochaidh is Son of the Locksmith or Son of the Horseman). A quick Google search usually brings the answer, but nothing for Desamais. I've no idea where to look other than google, so if someome could point me in the right direction, that'd be great!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds French to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Irish names tend to be patronymic, whereas many French surnames are 'locative' (from a place/town/geographic feature). Delaporte, Delaroche, Dumoulin, etc. (of the gate, of the rock, of the mill). England has them also - Bridges, Brooks, Forest, Moore, Stone, Atwood, Greenwood, etc).
    A few French sites give Desamaison as an alternative to Desamais. That suggests it is a descriptive surname, deriving from a person e.g. Jean de la maison (John of the house) evolved eventually into Jean Desamaison and Jean Desamais. In Spain there is a similar surname, de las Casas and on the French side of the Pyrenees it is simply Cazes.
    It is interesting that your friend is from Vichy, which is in the Allier Departement (03) of central France and is also the centre for those with the Desamaison name. This link give a distribution of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Irish names tend to be patronymic, whereas many French surnames are 'locative' (from a place/town/geographic feature). Delaporte, Delaroche, Dumoulin, etc. (of the gate, of the rock, of the mill). England has them also - Bridges, Brooks, Forest, Moore, Stone, Atwood, Greenwood, etc).
    A few French sites give Desamaison as an alternative to Desamais. That suggests it is a descriptive surname, deriving from a person e.g. Jean de la maison (John of the house) evolved eventually into Jean Desamaison and Jean Desamais. In Spain there is a similar surname, de las Casas and on the French side of the Pyrenees it is simply Cazes.
    It is interesting that your friend is from Vichy, which is in the Allier Departement (03) of central France and is also the centre for those with the Desamaison name. This link give a distribution of the name

Can't ask for much more than that! Cheers!!

Advertisement