Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running shoes to help with supination

Options
  • 05-04-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I started running in febuary and just did my first 5k race, but all through the training i been suffering with ankle pain that got so bad I took 2 week break. I definately supernate as my shoes wear on the outside. My current running shoes are asics gel indicate 2. I've looked a lot on line but there so many styles of running shoe in totally lost. So I'm looking for any recommendations you might have, also can anyone recommend a good running shop in limerick, thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hello,

I think I probably supinate too -- I always wear my shoes down on the front outside edge. I just wear normal, neutral shoes though.

I know we can't give medical advice, but I think if you have bad ankle pain so early in your running (presume your weekly mileage isn't that high?) then strengthening exercises could be the way to go? I've had a lot of problems with one ankle in particular, so now I do a lot of balancing, calf raises etc and generally I'm fine and don't need special shoes.

You could probably look up ankle strengthening online, but it might be worth seeing a physio in case you have a sprain, ligament problem, stress fracture or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hello,

I think I probably supinate too -- I always wear my shoes down on the front outside edge. I just wear normal, neutral shoes though.

I know we can't give medical advice, but I think if you have bad ankle pain so early in your running (presume your weekly mileage isn't that high?) then strengthening exercises could be the way to go? I've had a lot of problems with one ankle in particular, so now I do a lot of balancing, calf raises etc and generally I'm fine and don't need special shoes.

You could probably look up ankle strengthening online, but it might be worth seeing a physio in case you have a sprain, ligament problem, stress fracture or anything.
    thanks for that reply, I went to elverys today and had my gait analyzed turns out I only very slightly supinate so the guy in the shop basically said same as you to try exercises e.c.t but especially on my glutes as my feet point a bit outward when I run, he said my current asics are fine. I also bought a foam roller which he said would help me and after this evenings run I the pain seems to be going away so maybe its a case of pushing myself to much to soon and just have to wait for my bones to get stronger and adapt. Thanks again!

Advertisement