Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a house cost

Options
  • 05-04-2017 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the build cost involved in a two storey 4 bedroom house in county limerick area. I was looking at building a 1520 sq ft house with two living rooms an open plan kitchen / dining area a utility with a bathroom. Upstairs have 4 bedrooms one with en suite and walk in wardrobe I have got some drawings done up but I have no idea about the cost involved my architect was pushy for a builder so I'm a bit skeptical about getting them. I have the site bought and applying for mortgage the bank have told me to get 3/4 quotes from builders I don't know very many either which doesn't help if any of you could shed some light and recommend builders that won't cost fortune it be great. I'm aware there are the legal fees and planning etc

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don't think there be change from 200k
    Builders are busy and materials and labor rates rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Not that it might make any difference since I am Dublin based but got my house valued last week. It was suggested in the report that the rebuild cost of my 186m2 4 bed house was €350,000, I'm going to presume that that is with the kitchen, flooring, bathrooms etc included, basically in walk in condition minus the moveable furniture. Works out at about €1881 per m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

The cost will largely depend on what standard you want it built too, for example if you want to get a high BER rating of B1+ it is going to cost you more. Similarly with window glazing etc. These can add up very quickly.

One route to go down is to contact a contractor that will organise it all for you, plumbers, electricians etc so you only have the one person to deal with and therefore the one bill to pay (the sub-contractor should invoice the principle contractor separately). This can be a bit more pricey, but generally tends to be worth it as it's easier.

Another route is to hire for each stage of the build, you would need to get separate quotes from each contractor involved and gauge if there's much of a savings.

Whatever your budget is, you should be prepared to go 20% over it for a buffer zone, if not a bit more as construction can easily become delayed.

Also OP another thing to factor in is the land, before they even begin building the land could need work done to it like drainage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sayuriH

ace_irl wrote: »
    The cost will largely depend on what standard you want it built too, for example if you want to get a high BER rating of B1+ it is going to cost you more. Similarly with window glazing etc. These can add up very quickly.

One route to go down is to contact a contractor that will organise it all for you, plumbers, electricians etc so you only have the one person to deal with and therefore the one bill to pay (the sub-contractor should invoice the principle contractor separately). This can be a bit more pricey, but generally tends to be worth it as it's easier.

Another route is to hire for each stage of the build, you would need to get separate quotes from each contractor involved and gauge if there's much of a savings.

Whatever your budget is, you should be prepared to go 20% over it for a buffer zone, if not a bit more as construction can easily become delayed.

Also OP another thing to factor in is the land, before they even begin building the land could need work done to it like drainage etc.

Yea the land is fine and ready to build on have looked into that so that shouldn't be any cost just start building. Thank you for your input I will ask around and see about best price. Mortgage is given in stages so will be hard to just pay the one guy.

van_beano wrote: »
    Not that it might make any difference since I am Dublin based but got my house valued last week. It was suggested in the report that the rebuild cost of my 186m2 4 bed house was €350,000, I'm going to presume that that is with the kitchen, flooring, bathrooms etc included, basically in walk in condition minus the moveable furniture. Works out at about €1881 per m2.

Thanks for your reply. That seems very expensive but then again it is Dublin. The rebuild cost for valuation for insurances and just market value could end up been higher then the actual cost to build it. Hoping it is cheaper then this or will be building a shed to live in lol

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Don't think there be change from 200k
    Builders are busy and materials and labor rates rising.

Yes that is true was hoping could get it built for less than 200k but that is very distinct possibility that it could be more. I would have a lot of help from family/ friends that would help on labour costs

ace_irl wrote: »

No such thing as B1 house, all new dwellings must be A3 minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Unless you have and you don't have some experience of the building trade, going for direct labour is really not an option for you.

I'm sorry a lot of it is word of mouth. Get your architect
    /engineer to prepare building drawings and spec.
    Get a list of builders some your engineer suggests but also others.
    Ask around where you work, in the pub anywhere. You'll soon get names.

All builders should supply names of recent projects.
    If you feel your engineer is giving you a bum steer, have no hesitation is changing him/her.
    kceire's price of €220K would be good value. A starting point for you.
    If the suggested builder comes in at €40/50K above the best quotes then you may be very well getting a bum steer.

Water John wrote: »
    Unless you have and you don't have some experience of the building trade, going for direct labour is really not an option for you.

I'm sorry a lot of it is word of mouth. Get your architect
    /engineer to prepare building drawings and spec.
    Get a list of builders some your engineer suggests but also others.
    Ask around where you work, in the pub anywhere. You'll soon get names.

All builders should supply names of recent projects.
    If you feel your engineer is giving you a bum steer, have no hesitation is changing him/her.
    kceire's price of €220K would be good value. A starting point for you.
    If the suggested builder comes in at €40/50K above the best quotes then you may be very well getting a bum steer.

Thanks for your reply. Your right there I definitely don't have a clue about building. I do however have a lot of friends/family that would know and are willing to help which I thought could reduce the costs. Yes I have got some drawings done so it's just a matter of showing those to builders to get a price. Thank you for that I will look for the recent projects. By any chance do you know is it a common thing to quote per mtr sq or just a full price? Was hoping it would be below the 200k mark.

The quote will be full price. Price per sq meter is used to show average cost. Trying to compare different house sizes, different parts of the country and over time. A guide.
    A self build with contractors is difficult. Best use your connections to get the best builder and help you keep him on his toes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

No such thing as B1 house, all new dwellings must be A3 minimum.

Thanks for the correction! :)

Water John wrote: »
    The quote will be full price. Price per sq meter is used to show average cost. Trying to compare different house sizes, different parts of the country and over time. A guide.
    A self build with contractors is difficult. Best use your connections to get the best builder and help you keep him on his toes.

Thank you. I hate the idea of ringing them up when I don't have a mortgage guaranteed but I can't get one until I have the costing. Lol first world problem

Get your engineer to prepare the drawings. He should also send them out to the builders with an agreed letter if you so wish.
    Builders are used to being asked to quote. Best of luck on the project.

Has Planning been granted?

Has Planning been granted?

No I have applied and the decision on it is actually due in soon hoping there is no objections 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

sayuriH wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the build cost involved in a two storey 4 bedroom house in county limerick area. I was looking at building a 1520 sq ft house with two living rooms an open plan kitchen / dining area a utility with a bathroom. Upstairs have 4 bedrooms one with en suite and walk in wardrobe I have got some drawings done up but I have no idea about the cost involved my architect was pushy for a builder so I'm a bit skeptical about getting them. I have the site bought and applying for mortgage the bank have told me to get 3/4 quotes from builders I don't know very many either which doesn't help if any of you could shed some light and recommend builders that won't cost fortune it be great. I'm aware there are the legal fees and planning etc

That sounds like quite a lots of rooms in a 1520sq ft house. Might be an idea to do a quick check the total floor area, as prices will be somewhat based on the floor area.

gooner99 wrote: »
    That sounds like quite a lots of rooms in a 1520sq ft house. Might be an idea to do a quick check the total floor area, as prices will be somewhat based on the floor area.

This is basically same as what I was looking at -snip-

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sayuriH wrote: »
    This is basically same as what I was looking at -snip-
    Hi please don't link to companies looking for comparison quotes to their products thanks. If you have any queries on the forum see the forum charter charter, (if you have a question please use the PM function)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

Has anyone kept a record of actual costings of a similar build ?

Advertisement