Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Eng Lvl 8 Degree Part Time

Options
  • 05-04-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I'm currently in second year of a 5 year (ugh) part time Lvl 7 Civil Engineering degree in DIT, the BEng Tech they call it. As I'm sure everyone can agree, a level 7 degree is worth sweet F*** all these days so I'm at nothing if I don't get the level 8 and therein lies a huge problem. I've done a fair bit of research and only one college in the country seems to offer a part-time level 8 Civil Engineering degree and that's DKIT. It's a 2 year part time degree but there's a catch... it's a Bsc and not a BE. My question is, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two in terms of practicable knowledge and job opportunities? So far I've fielded this question to a few people in the field, including a representative from Engineers Ireland, but they've all responded with fairly vague answers. Any help in this matter would be HUGELY appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ushm wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently in second year of a 5 year (ugh) part time Lvl 7 Civil Engineering degree in DIT, the BEng Tech they call it. As I'm sure everyone can agree, a level 7 degree is worth sweet F*** all these days so I'm at nothing if I don't get the level 8 and therein lies a huge problem. I've done a fair bit of research and only one college in the country seems to offer a part-time level 8 Civil Engineering degree and that's DKIT. It's a 2 year part time degree but there's a catch... it's a Bsc and not a BE. My question is, can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two in terms of practicable knowledge and job opportunities? So far I've fielded this question to a few people in the field, including a representative from Engineers Ireland, but they've all responded with fairly vague answers. Any help in this matter would be HUGELY appreciated.

I completed the Level 7 from DIT Bolton Street (BEng Tech) in 2007 after starting in 2002 part time while working as a technician in a consulting engineering firm.

I bunced from that to the BER assessors course in 2008 and then to a Post Grad Dip in Fire Safety in TCD.

I mainly worked in the design or buildings and spaces, surveying, delapidation surveys, domestic and commercial engineering oversight and site inspections and building and planning regulation compliance.

I am a chartered Building Engineer through CABE (not as highly regarded as IEI in fairness) and also a Registered Building Surveyor through the SCSI and an assigned certifier if required.

The point to this story is that the level 7 is by no means a piece of crap. It depends on what area you want to concentrate in.

Do you want to get into the structural design ?
    When I came out, the only option was Jordanstown up north once a week for 2-3 years. Back before the proper M1 so a 2.5 hour drive at least!

What would you like to do at the end of all this? I suppose that question could dictate what route you take. Bearing in mind that there are new requirements to been chartered through the IEI now.

Advertisement