Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the Roos

Options
  • 05-04-2017 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Well, this is hopefully a little motivation for me when the going gets tough.

Background info: 36yr old shortish bloke, 68kg or there abouts and 2 months ago ran a HM PB of 1:38:40 and was disappointed after as my legs weren't in a heap, I figured I could have pushed harder. At the time I thought I was haha

Do a bit of trail running and am sorta following the mrs's training program for a marathon.

I work away on a mine site doing a week of 12.5hr days followed by a week back in Perth the 7 12.5hr nights and then a week off.

So far I'm managing the days but the nights leave it tough to knock out intervals.

Anyway, in Perth this week. Did 5k beach run barefoot followed by circuit training. Got talked into a hill repeat session then in the afternoon.

3.1k with 450m elev. That sucked :D

Tomorrow is 1 hour run at ~5min/k pace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Slideways

Legs were exceptionally heavy this morning after the repeats and possibly the beach running.

12k done in a bees dick under the hour. Felt good after the first few clicks were done and found a new route that's bang on the 12k for the loop. Winner winner chicken dinner. Speaking of which, I'm hungry...

Today's a no-run day.

30 mins in the pool attempting to master my breathing while swimming.

Yesterday I had planned on a cycle, some bastard stole my bicycle out of the garage. :mad:

Intervals today.

10 min warm up
    5x2 min with 1 min recovery

Topped it off with just over 6k cool down to finish on 12k in just under 57 min

Interval pace was averaging at 3:50/k

Sunday was 13k trail running in the bush. Was pretty hilly and a tight course.

Was very slow and struggled big time after Saturdays intervals :(

No running today as I was off diving with sharks. Nothing tmrw either as I fly back to work and I just don't have the time.
    On dayshift this week, will see how it works out...

12th Runing around the camp I stay at in rural WA when at work
    This is my only option up here when on days. 2.3k loop

12km at 4:43/km

14th
    10min warm up, intervals of 6x3min with 1 min recovery and 10 mins cool down. Overall average of 4:43/km and 4:04/km on interval sections

15th was 5.4km after a failed attempt at a group beep test

16th was long slow run day
    22.5km in 2:00:00 which I'm pretty pleased about considering I had a 12.5hr work day done and was awake about 14hours when I started the session. Step count for the day was 34000 :pac:

• Advertisement

17th 8k in 41 mins, laps around camp
    Total average 5:07/km

18th 10 min warm up
    8 x 90 secs intervals with 60 sec recovery
    10 min cool down
    Total average 4:59/km

20th 10 min warm up
    2 x 8 mins with 2 min recovery
    2 x 3 mins with 2 min recovery
    10 min cool down
    Total average 5:24/km

22nd 20 mins warm up
    10 x 90 sec hill repeats.
    20 mins cool down
    Total average 5:14/km

23rd
    Sunday LSR
    2hrs 15 mins. 26.3km 5.08/km

Training slipped a bit as I had a man flu..

Did a 32k race today, finished in 2:38:00
    My furthest run yet by a nice bit so happy with that

Big week for me, intervals a few times this week and managed to average in or around 4;05/km on two sets of 6x1km interval days.

Took Friday off as I knew i had a big weekend
    Satruday I did 32km at 5:15 pace and pulled up feeling pretty fresh. My heart rate monitor strap had done a number on my chest again. Decided to treat myself and bought the new Fenix 5 so that couldnt happen again :pac:

This morning (sunday) was up at 5am and out to a trail running festival an hour from Perth called the Wild Goose Chase. Did the 22.5km option which was entirely on trails, over rocks and up some epicly steep terrain. 750m elev. Finished in 2;20;xx and I think I was third across the line but waiting on confirmation. Great weekend for me :D

Night shift last week up to Tuesday, the coach/trainer altered my program to 45min a day easy but I didn't quite take it easy. Pushed myself a few days and even managed a pretty sweet negative split 10k on one of them..

Back to Perth Tuesday morning and after a quick kip on the couch I pulled on the trainers for a 20 min warm up followed by 10 90sec intervals and 20 cool down. Averaged 3:45 on the intervals but it was a proper struggle.

Wednesday was an hour, picking up the pace for the last 20min - 13km done. Had the mrs with me for that one. Did a 30km cycle on the new bike in the afternoon averaging 28.5km/hr. Was in tatters after bad dreading the intervals in the morning...

This morning, Thursday, 20 min warm up, 6x1km efforts and 20 cool down. Feel like I smashed it. All under 4:00/km which I'm stoked with.

A few more days before taper starts. Something I've never done before. More nervous about that than I am about the marathon at this stage

I did it!

3:35:35 for my very first marathon. Pretty happy but bloody tired tonight. The recovery run tomorrow will be ugly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Slideways wrote: »
    I did it!

3:35:35 for my very first marathon. Pretty happy but bloody tired tonight. The recovery run tomorrow will be ugly!

Congrats on an excellent debut marathon.
    I hope you are joking about the recovery run, rest up and recover well.

Cheers for that.

I did try a run but was just too sore. Took to the bike instead and it freed the legs out a nice bit.

Will give the running a rest for a few more days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Try and go for a swim instead, definitely no running.

Some debut, well done. What marathon?

Perth City, organised by the West Australian Marathon Club.

Really flat course and we got a good day for it

Back at this afternoon.

6km in 26:29. Happy with that

Wednesday I went for a run, no distance or destination in mind. Felt good at the start so said I would push on.

16km in 1:13:20 which is would have seen me beat my HM record if I had kept going.

Been having a niggle in my right leg for some time, hamstring tightness brought on by a tendon in the groin according to my physio so took a few days off.

I had paid for an entry to a 10k Race on Sunday so went to it having serious questions in my head regarding the wonky leg.
    Well the excitement of the race and the determination to beat the mrs who wasnt far behind me saw me smash both my 5 and 10km pb. 5k ticked up in 19:26, a 1:30 deduction and 10 in 40:10 which is very nearly 3 mins quicker. I believe i might have snuck under the 40 had the course not being 300m short and I had to get passed the finish line and keep going. There was no way I was going to miss out on the 10k PB after coming that far!

Running has been very sporadic of late.

Hernia was eventually diagnosed and had surgery 3.5 weeks ago. Been doing the occasional short run but its hampering my recovery so should knock that on the head.

Advertisement