Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AWS Free Tier

Options
  • 05-04-2017 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

I set up an RDS instance on the free tier plan at the end of Feb, so I could work on a basic app from work and from home using the same database. This month I've gotten a bill for March for $15, I don't really understand how. I've barely used the thing!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

It says I've used 744hrs under the free tier for EU Region, 6hrs for the free tier for US Region, but has charged me for 738hrs separate to both of these. How can this be if I only have one instance running?

I assume the high "usage" is the time the instance is "available", but how can I make it "not available", I don't see an option for this in the console.

413867.png

Help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Are you sure you don't have another RDS instance running in Oregon?

I was going to say its possible you enabled Multi AZ which would mean you have 2 instances running. But the second instance would be in another availably zone in the same region and not in a different region

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

conzy wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't have another RDS instance running in Oregon?

I was going to say its possible you enabled Multi AZ which would mean you have 2 instances running. But the second instance would be in another availably zone in the same region and not in a different region
    In the RDS dashboard it only lists once instance, and Multi AZ is not set. The instance that is there is set for AZ us-west-2b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Pelvis wrote: »
    In the RDS dashboard it only lists once instance, and Multi AZ is not set. The instance that is there is set for AZ us-west-2b.

If you chance the region in the top right to eu-west-1 and go to RDS is there another instance there?

Or could it be a read only replica in another region?

If you chance the region in the top right to eu-west-1 and go to RDS is there another instance there?

Or could it be a read only replica in another region?
    Thank you, hadn't noticed I could change the region, there is an instance under EU (Ireland)! I have absolutely no clue how that happened.

So am I alright to just delete the US instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Pelvis wrote: »
    Thank you, hadn't noticed I could change the region, there is an instance under EU (Ireland)! I have absolutely no clue how that happened.

So am I alright to just delete the US instance?

If they are two independent RDS then yes you can delete the other one - just make sure its the one you're not using.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, the US instance was the one I was using! But migrated everything over to the EU instance and deleted it. Hopefully no more bills for the foreseeable future!

Advertisement