Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming issues - mobile data

Options
  • 05-04-2017 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Recently got the Moto G 4 with Android 7.0.

I stream podcasts and some online radio in the car on mobile data. However it won't continuously play for me. It will play for 2/3 minutes and stop. When I unlock the screen it will start again.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're streaming, you could just be passing between 4G+, 4G, H+ etc. Slower data connections are causing buffering I'd expect.

Most podcast clients support offline access - I recommend downloading a few before you hit the road.

That isn't going to help radio, but gets you half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Thanks but I'm very confident it is some sort of setting on the phone. Was doing the same thing with a 4G phone previously and driving the same areas etc. but never had an issue. It has only arisen on this phone.

Saw the "data saver" option in settings and thought I had found the answer but it's not switched on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sounds like some sort of battery saver/power saver app killing off any open app when screen is off.
    Installed anything like this recently? These apps are not required in Android 6/7 anyway & usually mess things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As above, a recent app permission could be disabling data. Check permissions within anything you've recently added

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Disable "Doze".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

ED E wrote: »
    Disable "Doze".

Excellent, thanks. Have just tried one of the radio apps for over 10 mins and it hasn't stopped. Pretty sure this is the solution

Thanks again

For anyone else having the same problem: (from here)
    Open the Settings app on your phone (Pull down the notifications shade, and tap the gear in the upper right corner, or find “Settings†in the App Drawer.)

Tap Battery.

Tap the menu button and choose “Battery optimization.â€

Tap the dropdown menu at the top of the screen and select “All apps.â€

Here you can see a full list of apps installed on your phone. Most should say “Optimizing battery use†by default. These apps are affected by Doze.

If you want one to always stay connected—say, for example, your work messaging app—then tap it and select “Don’t optimize.â€

From now on, that app will always be able to receive messages or access the network, but it might drain your battery.

Advertisement