Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega drive to a HD telly/PC monitor.

Options
  • 05-04-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Ok I know this won't go down well in these parts but I don't own a crt and won't own a crt. Two reasons no room and missus already thinks I have enough crap clogging up the joint which she's probably not wrong about.

So is there a cable I can get to go into a hdmi to run my mega drive off.

I feel bad. I bought this off one of you guys years ago and it's sitting in the attic unplayed.

I know the telly/PC monitor won't be ideal but it's better than nothing

Comments

get out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I plugged mine straight into the 'aerial' connection on the back of my Samsung and then just tuned it in. It looked fine for my purposes. I just wanted to briefly revisit the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

get out

I deserved that. :-(

Paleblood wrote: »
    I plugged mine straight into the 'aerial' connection on the back of my Samsung and then just tuned it in. It looked fine for my purposes.

Defiantly not one on my PC monitor I and I doubt there's one on my lg telly but could be wrong. I doubt it looks anyway decent though?

I deserved that. :-(

All credit to the retro scene for getting under the hood and keeping those consoles alive, but the games are there to be played, not obsessed over. My first Master System was only ever played on my grandad's b&w TV and I loved every minute. Connect up the Mega Drive in any way you can and just enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Problem with the flatscreens is not the picture.
    Its the post processing and upscalers that introduce lag.
    Some TVs are better than others of course.

Defiantly not one on my PC monitor I and I doubt there's one on my lg telly but could be wrong. I doubt it looks anyway decent though?

Honesty, I was surprised by it. The colours popped, possibly to an unnatural degree, but I was happpy with it. But I was just having a brief knockaround. I have the same Mega Drive since I was 11 years old, along with a ton of games. I just want to plug it in occasionally and keep my memories of it alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's more ignorance is bliss. A Megadrive through the rf aerial is going to look god awful but if you've not seen the same through proper rgb you will think it's fine.

I should say that I also picked up an RGB cable for my PS2 recently, and hooked it up to a rather fabulous Sony CRT that my landlord/uncle left behind. I couldn't believe the difference. Pro Evo 6 looked much more muted, but ultimately a lot deeper. Resident Evil 4 looked fantastic. All of those years playing the PS2 and I'm only now just seeing it in it's proper light! I guess I owe it to my Mega Drive to give it the same attention.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's more ignorance is bliss. A Megadrive through the rf aerial is going to look god awful but if you've not seen the same through proper rgb you will think it's fine.

Well, exactly. No complaints there.

• Advertisement

Sorry ok I kinda knew it would go this way and each to their own lads but can someone recommend a cable I can use to get the best possible picture for my telly or even better on my PC monitor as that's where I do the bulk of my gaming these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

door.jpg

eddhorse wrote: »
    door.jpg

A JPEG in 2017.

Yeah, you really showed him alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The difference is stunning though, well worth the minor investment in a set of RGB cables, the console may become less of an occasional treat and more of a go to console as a result!

Also consider getting it modified, there's some nice switchless mods out there that will incur no outward alterations to your console but will result in better, full screen games running at full speed.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The difference is stunning though, well worth the minor investment in a set of RGB cables, the console may become less of an occasional treat and more of a go to console as a result!

Also consider getting it modified, there's some nice switchless mods out there that will incur no outward alterations to your console but will result in better, full screen games running at full speed.

I actually bought it here. It has a 50/60 switch on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's more ignorance is bliss.

You're becoming predictable young jedi :D

TBH , for most people, it's more a case of available space and compromising with the other half. Most people just want to play the game from the original console and can't be bothered looking for a 60hz console, japanese imports and fork out the money for a broadcasting CRT (I hope you've one of these retr0 otherwise you're living in ignorance ) ... also not everybody has the time to play retro-games for more than a odd hour a week so for the occasional game, it HAS to be all about compromise.

As for the initial question, my advice would be to get these 3 things.
    RGB to SCART cable
    Connect it to a SCART to HDMI converter
    Hdmi cable to connect into the monitor.

or if your monitor has VGA input, get a scart to vga cable and just enjoy your game time.

As Brownfinger pointed out though you may experience some lag depending on the upscaling processor, it's unavoidable but quite minimal in general. My best friend runs his MD on his flatscreen TV and I never really noticed lag there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

A JPEG in 2017.

Yeah, you really showed him alright.

But it's Jean Luc?

Plus its the Arcade and Retro Forum, JPEGs are Retro now.

BGOllie wrote: »

TBH , for most people, it's more a case of available space and compromising with the other half. Most people just want to play the game from the original console and can't be bothered looking for a 60hz console, japanese imports and fork out the money for a broadcasting CRT (I hope you've one of these retr0 otherwise you're living in ignorance ) ... also not everybody has the time to play retro-games for more than a odd hour a week so for the occasional game, it HAS to be all about compromise.

RGB to SCART cable

or if your monitor has VGA input, get a scart to vga cable and just enjoy your game time.

As Brownfinger pointed out though you may experience some lag depending on the upscaling processor, it's unavoidable but quite minimal in general. My best friend runs his MD on his flatscreen TV and I never really noticed lag there.

Thanks for that. Good info

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭V-man

BGOllie wrote: »

RGB to SCART cable

I use the same solution for my MSX2 and Amiga's and confirm this works very well
    If you are lucky enough to have a TV with a good analogue circuit you could skip on the SCART to HDMI Converter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    But it's Jean Luc?

Plus its the Arcade and Retro Forum, JPEGs are Retro now.

Gifs are where the cool kidz are at
    tumblr_nwv0i1z6Ym1r8jzago1_500.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I should say that I also picked up an RGB cable for my PS2 recently, and hooked it up to a rather fabulous Sony CRT that my landlord/uncle left behind. I couldn't believe the difference. Pro Evo 6 looked much more muted, but ultimately a lot deeper. Resident Evil 4 looked fantastic. All of those years playing the PS2 and I'm only now just seeing it in it's proper light! I guess I owe it to my Mega Drive to give it the same attention.

There's using RF cables instead of RGB but an even bigger crime is playing the PS2 version of Resi 4 over the Gamecube version or the later releases based off the GC version.

That Game use version was the best...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That Game use version was the best...

****ing autocorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

played it on PC . wasn't the easiest experience, especially without a gamepad

Advertisement