Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conference presentation

Options
  • 04-04-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Hoping to get some tips.

I'm presenting at an upcoming conference in a few weeks. I'm not familiar with the usual conference presentation structures. I'm in very early stage literature review in business field. I've a reasonable idea of the theoretical frameworks I'll be using and a planned methodology somewhat.

I've been getting conflicting report on what to include or exclude. Any guidance or tips would be really appreciated. I'm not certain where to focus my attention and supervisor is MIA 🀔

Thanks all🀗

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What are you presenting? Is it a piece of research? An overview of what you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Hey Tom,

It'll have to be an overview of what's in the pipeline. There is no research conducted yet - just about 6 months into lit review stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Business isn't really my area, but I suppose the following pointers might help (I've presented at a number of conferences):
    • refer to (don't explain) theories that underpin your work
    • use common terminology in your field, but don't overdo it
    • keep the powerpoint to a minimum, use it as a skeleton, on which you can verbalise the "meat"
    • ensure there is a logical flow - (brief) intro, main, summary
    • practice your timing - conferences are usually quite rutheless on time allocation
    • run it by colleagues to see if it makes sense before the conference

Advertisement