Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling accident - longshot

Options
  • 04-04-2017 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

This is a bit of a longshot (and I know I'm an idiot) but I was knocked off my bike by a car last Sunday (26th March) on the N11 at the Cabinteely crossroads and I'm just looking for any information anyone might have on the incident.

At the time I thought I was ok, and managed to cycle the few k home afterwards but once the shock / adrenaline subsided I was in a lot of pain it turned out that I broke my wrist.

The driver initially kept going but another motorist chased them down and they came back to check on me. The guy gave me his name but if I'm honest it barely registered and I didn't end up taking any other details as I was still in a bit of shock and just wanted to get home glad that I was ok.

All help appreciated

A bruised cyclist

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Dublin City Traffic Cam captures this area of Cabinteely crossroads.

https://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

3/4 the way down the page on the left.

Im not sure if the area you need is captured but if it is, it might be worth checking if they keep recordings.

No idea if you would need to go through AGS but it would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...No idea if you would need to go through AGS but it would be your best bet.
    Do this first. Any accident where there is personal injury must be reported.

(Ideally you should have reported it at the time and you and the driver should have remained at the scene until AGS arrived.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rjod1989

Thanks guys, will give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Consider logging your collision (Accident suggests lack of blame) on the Dublin Inquirer's Collision Tracker map. It's a long term project to track the nature and amount of cycle collisions around Dublin. It's worth doing for any type of incident as there's also a "near miss" category.

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2015/10/20/bicycle-collision-tracker/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Moflojo wrote: »
    Consider logging your collision (Accident suggests lack of blame) on the Dublin Inquirer's Collision Tracker map. It's a long term project to track the nature and amount of cycle collisions around Dublin. It's worth doing for any type of incident as there's also a "near miss" category.

think that bit's important, very few collisions are 'accidents'. cause and effect and all that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Also consider MIBI if you can't trace the driver, though since you were given details that may not be open to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Moflojo wrote: »

Just logged my near miss from Friday, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Dublin City Traffic Cam captures this area of Cabinteely crossroads.

https://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

3/4 the way down the page on the left.

Im not sure if the area you need is captured but if it is, it might be worth checking if they keep recordings.

No idea if you would need to go through AGS but it would be your best bet.

Sadly I'm fairly sure that they don't record these things. My wife had a cyclist make a spurious claim against her (long story but he had previous for inventing claims) and we tried to get video from them and couldn't, it was a few days later, if issue was flagged within 24 hours there might be a chance of getting video but not at this remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,636 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rjod1989 wrote: »

The driver initially kept going but another motorist chased them down and they came back to check on me. The guy gave me his name but if I'm honest it barely registered and I didn't end up taking any other details as I was still in a bit of shock and just wanted to get home glad that I was ok.
    Sorry to hear it - just a tip for you and anyone else in this situation in future:

Record details on your phone. Take photos if you can, of the offending car AND the offending driver. Several cases have been blocked by the owner just refusing to name the driver in the UK. Take photos of insurance disc / NCT / tax and use your video recording to note any other details give, like name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The driver initially kept going...
    That's a hit-and-run, a criminal offence that the Gardai take very seriously!
    ...but another motorist chased them down and they came back to check on me.
    Which might mitigate the offence a little bit, but still very much a matter for the Gardai to record and investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Melodeon wrote: »
    That's a hit-and-run, a criminal offence that the Gardai take very seriously!

The driver did give his name - but should obviously have written down name, address and phone number. But he may have been shocked too.

Advertisement