Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car went on fire - questions

Options
  • 04-04-2017 6:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Hi,

It's worth a couple of grand, if i claim on the fire part of my insurance how will that affect my next year's renewal premium?

Can i freeze my insurance while looking for a new car?

Can I transfer my insurance to my mam's car, she has her own insurance on the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'll lose your no-claims bonus and your premium will probably be loaded. You may be refused insurance by some companies.

You also need to consider what the insurance company will actually pay out for your car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 qir

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You'll lose your no-claims bonus and your premium will probably be loaded. You may be refused insurance by some companies.

You also need to consider what the insurance company will actually pay out for your car.
    Will they load for a fire claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

qir wrote: »
    Will they load for a fire claim?

I just check my insurer, and they don't load for a fire claim

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

No claims discount may not be affected depending on the insurer. You should contact them to find out. You would still have to declare it to future insurers. But for €2k if bonus isn't affected it's probably worth it. You can't transfer your insurance to your mum's as it's already insured and you don't own it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 qir

Thanks for replies, Im insured through a broker (closed now, I'll ring them tomorrow), I'm having a look at my paperwork/policy and the insurer is AXA. Looking at their site and assuming terms are the same for me, their is no excess and my ncb remains after a fire claim, so that much is good, I can't find any mention on loading from a claim of that type though. Hope not.

https://www.axa.ie/car-insurance/benefits/
    https://www.axa.ie/download/axa-car-insurance-policy-011016.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Clarify with the broker as the fire clause differs depending if you are on a student scheme with reduced benefits with Axa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

While it usually does not affect your NCB it is still a Claim....which means you will have to mention it to any future Insurers for the next few years (and I'm sure you can figure out what that will mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

If may not effect your bonus but I'd imagine there will be a loading as most fires(if not mechanical/electrical with subrogation rights) have an air of suspicion around them or lack of maintenance and wouldn't be the ideal risk profile insurers look for. Unless there was negligence elsewhere and you will be recovering the costs from another insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

First off, no insurance company is obliged to honour another's NCB. NCB is discretionary discount : it has no basis in law etc.
    So, so long as you stay with your current insurer it may not have any immediate effect.

However if you ever do move, or want to, that's when you may run into problems. Some insurance companies (e.g. Allianz) will not take on any new business if you've ever been in any kind of accident at all ( not just car btw) inside the last 5 years. Your NCB isn't worth the paper it's on to them, and it being protected ditto. In fact NCB protection is only good for your existing insurer only.

This is why there are now two questions on proposals :
    1 - Have you NCB ?
    2 - Have you been involved in any accidents inside the last 5 years ?

You can see what they're doing by separating NCB from a history of claims...gives them licence to ignore NCB if you fail question 2.....

So, to your question, the decider is the value involved and whether that will in fact impact future premiums.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Btw - you can ask your insurer what effect your claim (if you proceed with it ) would have on your renewal. Then you can decide: you're not obliged to process a claim and there is no penalty if you don't.

I did that with a bike policy a few years ago and the sums told me to file the claim.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement