Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Victorian Fruit Market Redevelopment

Options
  • 04-04-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what's happening with the proposed redevelopment of the fruit market near the Four Courts/Capel Street? Plans seem to have been approved back in 2015 and building supposed to start in 2016 but I haven't heard anything since. Have the plans been scrapped for some reason or is it just delayed?

Curious to know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cheadle999

anyone know is there any update with regards to this? tried searching myself but cant find anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Nothing that I have heard of yet, but someone else might. I despair as to the length of time it takes to get anything up and running in this city (and country).

It was many years ago that this was mooted. Maybe there are legal issues I don't know. sorry, that wasn't very helpful was it. Someone may come along soon with more information.

Maybe DCC are far too busy trying to sort out the city centre traffic mayhem of the Cross City Luas or something to give this any time right now.

I'd also be interested to know. It would be such an asset to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Might be useful to contact the DCC councillors for that ward of the city for an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think I read something about waiting for a few tenants leases to expire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Also Iveagh market :(
    Why have we wasted two potentially great social developments for the entire city to enjoy for so long!!
    A large permanent indoor market is sorely lacking in dublin

I think I heard iveagh market is actually suffering structural damage due to being neglected so long..imagine the shame of it collapsed after all the fuss over leases

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Iveagh and the other one are too much out from the centre to be able to have something there permanently in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Iveagh and the other one are too much out from the centre to be able to have something there permanently in my opinion.

That is crazy...fruit and veg market is 750 m from oconnell street and iveagh is less than 5 minute walk from christchurch. Thats pretty damn central

Dublin is a city of over a million people and we must use one of the tiniest most condensed commercial centre compared to our population ever!
    'town' is basically south inner city between christchurch and trinity + oconnell /henry street for most dubliners! Which I think is a shame as theres a lot more to offer from the city than that little area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

wakka12 wrote: »
    That is crazy...fruit and veg market is 750 m from oconnell street and iveagh is less than 5 minute walk from christchurch. Thats pretty damn central

Dublin is a city of over a million people and we must use one of the tiniest most condensed commercial centre compared to our population ever!
    'town' is basically south inner city between christchurch and trinity + oconnell /henry street for most dubliners! Which I think is a shame as theres a lot more to offer from the city than that little area.

I used to work in the four courts... that stretch past Capel st is just kind of no man's land. I mean it may rejuvenate the area but I'd be very surprised to see that happening.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I used to work in the four courts... that stretch past Capel st is just kind of no man's land. I mean it may rejuvenate the area but I'd be very surprised to see that happening.

The Smithfield area has been a fantastic rejuvenation and is doing extremely well. Absolutely thronged with tourists going to the newly renovated Jameson Brewery and the massive Generator Hostel and all the other cool bars and restaurants that have opened up around there.

Which makes it crazy that the area between there and Henry street is such a wasteland. Massive potential for this area in between to be very well developed and Smithfield and Henry Street better linked and strengthened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The Liberties area of Dublin has heavy footfall and is awash with tourists and quickly becoming a hipster district.

The Fruit Markets are just off Capel st and would be a great bridge between the thriving Smithfield area and the traditional City Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

All the more reason really. You have an area between bustling Capel St and bustling Smithfield and it's mostly surface car park and warehouses. It should be made an SDZ in my opinion.

Advertisement