Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Games for 6 year old

Options
  • 04-04-2017 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for a few recommendations for PC games for my son. Bought Sonic generations the other day as it was on offer and he seems to really be enjoying it. Other games he has been playing are Lego Avengers and Lego Star Wars, and Minecraft Story Mode.

Any others that you would recommend? have a steam account, an old enough PC with an i3 3220, and gtx 760 so should be fine for the basic games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

GTAV... just kidding.

You could check the "family friendly" tag on the Steam Store.

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Family%20Friendly/#p=0&tab=TopSellers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Have a look on GOG.com if there's anything you remember from your own childhood.

I can recommend Little Big Adventure 1 / LBA2, Psychonauts (on sale for €1!), Beyond Good & Evil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Cheers for that, haven't owned a console since the PS 2 and trying to get some decent games for the young fella will check out the above mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's about the age kids seem to become obsessed with minecraft. It being a creative game it's probably worth a try.

With steam it's worth having a look at the family friendly list and just seeing what's on sale. You could probably buy a handful of different types of games for a couple of euro (they likely have games from €2 - €10) and see what he likes. They don't need to be the newest games.

Have played Minecraft story mode with him, regular Minecraft seems to be keyboard and mouse job on PC unless there is a work around for the joypad on PC. Will keep an eye out on the usual sites, was only by chance spotted sonic generations for 5 quid. Hard to argue with that price on offer. Don't mind older games either. Thinking back to that age, it would have been sonic I would have played myself before moving on to Streets of rage, jungle strike, urban strike, golden axe and the likes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

http://joytokey.net/en/ is the workaround for using controllers instead of a mouse and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

Scribblenauts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

My 3 year old is obsessed with universe sandbox 2. He loves it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Any Lego title usually

Roblox

Terraria

Push me pull you

Yooka Laylee

Should be able to run with the card you have, when I get a chance to look at Steam I might have a few more to add... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

glic83 wrote: »
    Have played Minecraft story mode with him, regular Minecraft seems to be keyboard and mouse job on PC unless there is a work around for the joypad on PC. Will keep an eye out on the usual sites, was only by chance spotted sonic generations for 5 quid. Hard to argue with that price on offer. Don't mind older games either. Thinking back to that age, it would have been sonic I would have played myself before moving on to Streets of rage, jungle strike, urban strike, golden axe and the likes
    A wired XBOX remote will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Castle Crashers - fun single player or with the family
    Gang beasts - Family chaos :pac:

Also, don't steer him away from the keyboard in regards minecraft. I learned to type from playing games back in the age of empires days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

My young lad whos just about to turn 7 loves Plant Vs Zombies:Garden Warfare. Ive played some of it myself, its actually a quite decent shooter.

Taylor365 wrote: »

Also, don't steer him away from the keyboard in regards minecraft. I learned to type from playing games back in the age of empires days.

Scribblenauts as noted above is a brilliant typing / spelling game for any 7 year old.

Taylor365 wrote: »

I built the PC as a htpc initially and only put in a gtx 760 in the last few months. Only have a Logitech keyboard where the mouse is built in and might not be ideal for Minecraft. Currently have the pc behind the TV but will move it out to the kids room I think and that way it gives a few more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

My 6 year old likes driving the tractors in farming sim 2015, I have a wheel though so maybe that's some of the appeal. He doesn't really play it per we just likes driving lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dark Souls

Start them young.

Serious recommendations:

There's some good stuff on the Sega collection including a load of Sonic games, definitely one to go for and the games are on sale a lot.

The two Sonic racing games are also great Mario kart clones.

The rayman games are good for kids and also overcooked if you want some good multiplayer.

Well since I've started playing the games with him , I think I might be starting to get back into it myself

Emulators are also good as well. Loads of old school arcade games from the 80s / 90s available on the internet...Dolphin, MAME, etc, etc,
    No complicated controls and most work with gamepad connected to PC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Glebee wrote: »
    Emulators are also good as well. Loads of old school arcade games from the 80s / 90s available on the internet...Dolphin, MAME, etc, etc,
    ill second this, my young fella loves pacman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

TY the Tazmanian Tiger is a excellent game and so is Yooka-Laylee. Both bright game worlds and places to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Factorio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

There's even one for the Wii U, tried 5-6 games and most didn't work well on it since it's an early stage emulator but Mario Kart 8 worked 100% perfect which is all that really mattered to me. :D

Also I have been meaning to get around to it for the longest time, but would Ori and the Blind Forest be a good suggestion or too dark? I've only seem some trailers and snippets of playthrough videos but the bright visuals etc strike me as something that would dazzle a child (or a 30 year old :D ).

Otherwise, Doom is your best bet. My dad let me play his version when I was about seven and I wound up perfectly, bed wetting nightmares aside.

Billy86 wrote: »
    There's even one for the Wii U, tried 5-6 games and most didn't work well on it since it's an early stage emulator but Mario Kart 8 worked 100% perfect which is all that really mattered to me. :D

Also I have been meaning to get around to it for the longest time, but would Ori and the Blind Forest be a good suggestion or too dark? I've only seem some trailers and snippets of playthrough videos but the bright visuals etc strike me as something that would dazzle a child (or a 30 year old :D ).

Otherwise, Doom is your best bet. My dad let me play his version when I was about seven and I wound up perfectly, bed wetting nightmares aside.

Ori might be a bit difficult for a six year old IMO

Ori might be a bit difficult for a six year old IMO
    Perhaps, though it reminds me a good bit of Super Metroid back on the SNES that a friend and I got obsessed with when we were about 7/8, a small bit older granted, but we got months out of that game. Maybe could be one for the OP to earmark for ther 7th birthday or as a stocking filler at Christmas (also strikes me as the type of game even those who don't play games, if OP is that way, would get a bit of fun out of, similar to say Mario games)?

Went back and played it on an emulator a few years ago, it really holds up! Though I got through it in a week or two this time around, turns out the fire dragon wasn't all that difficult after all!

Just an update, signed up to gog and got him psyschonauts and little big adventure for a couple of euro. He is getting great mileage out of psyschonauts.Cheers for the replies think I may have to invest in a new gaming rig if this continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭chrisire

chrisire wrote: »

Mupen64 is a great one for the N64 too, and Mario 64 has aged like a gem - I'd imagine a 6 year old would absolutely love it. Mario Kart 64 possibly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Reminds me of a time years ago when my cousins came to visit, they were about 6 or 7, and they wanted to play games on the PC. They're asian, so they're small even for their age. I was actually playing Soldier of Fortune 2 at the time so I let them at it, my uncle walked in to see one son, barely able to reach over the tabletop, riddling a corpse with bullets while the other son was actually shouting "Use the knife, cut his head off with the knife".

• Advertisement

Reminds me of a time years ago when my cousins came to visit, they were about 6 or 7, and they wanted to play games on the PC. They're asian, so they're small even for their age. I was actually playing Soldier of Fortune 2 at the time so I let them at it, my uncle walked in to see one son, barely able to reach over the tabletop, riddling a corpse with bullets while the other son was actually shouting "Use the knife, cut his head off with the knife".
    Reminds me of playing Doom when it came out and I was about 6 or 7. :D

Or the trailer for the retro Doom-like game with the younger brother wanting to play it but the older brother warning him it's too much for him and... well... if you haven't see it, watch it (can't remember the name though!)

Advertisement