Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyres for Mazda 3

Options
  • 04-04-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

I currently driving a 10 Mazda 3 1.6d with crappy Centara Vanti HP tyres i got when i bought the car so now its time to get rid of them.
    I was looking on oponeo.ie and have been comparing tyres and i narrowed down to a few.
    Im only currently looking for 2 front tyres and not spending over €100 a tyre.
    Can anyone tell me if any good
    Tyre 205\50R17

Nexen N'Blue HD Plus €72
    Imperial Ecosport2 €53
    Hancook Ventus Prime2 K115 €91
    Toyo Proxes CF2 €85
    Kumho HS51 €74
    Falken ZE 914 €80

Just looking on general advice on these tyres. Does brand matter or are the EU ratings actually a guide to go by
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can find reviews by user on www.tyrereviews.co.uk, besides what people may suggest here
    Example http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-HS51.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Out of the bunch I'd go for the Hancook, but in fairness I'm a Michelin guy meself and don't know a lot about the others, so it might very well be because it's the only brand I recognized ;). I also tried Yokohama (the bluearth ae-1 if memory serve) and was quite happy with them.

Tyres of different brand/prices answer different needs. At the end of the day it's all about expectations, budget and driving styles. I myself would never save a few quid on tyres because I expect good grip and good stopping distances, especially in the wet (living in Ireland and all ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Can't go wrong with Falken or Kumho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

for example, the Kumho and Nexen are very similar but im unfamiliar with Nexen brand but stat wise the nexen is better, but would anyone even recommend it. Im not trying to cheap out but i want good value also
    Kumho
    Nexen

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're getting 4 tyres you may as well change to 225/45R17 as they're a much more common and cheaper size.
    The outside radius is virtually identical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I bought Falken ZE914 for wife's car in 185/55/16 size. It is fine grip and noise wise. Sidewalls are pretty stiff and reduces comfort due to low profile.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you're getting 4 tyres you may as well change to 225/45R17 as they're a much more common and cheaper size.
    The outside radius is virtually identical.

im still learning more about tyres, so maybe a dumb question but the alloy itself, would it take that new profile of tyre?

i think ill go with Toyo Proxes CF2, they have good grip, decent value and seem to wear well, according to ratings anyway.
    The Nexen N'Blue HD Plus is similar trye with similar ratings but im not sure on the brand itself
    If i can to 225\45R17 ill save a few quid also
    Lastly, how much should a tyre fitter charge to fit these?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

It's usually 10 quids a corner fitted and balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

im still learning more about tyres, so maybe a dumb question but the alloy itself, would it take that new profile of tyre?

Wheels will generally take a multitude of tyre widths. For example a 7" wide rim would take anything from 195mm to 245mm wide tyres without any problem. The different side profile makes zero difference.

• Advertisement

Wheels will generally take a multitude of tyre widths. For example a 7" wide rim would take anything from 195mm to 245mm wide tyres without any problem. The different side profile makes zero difference.

grand so ill go for 225\45R17 Toyo Proxes CF2. Hopefully it will be a good buy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    They are a lovely tyre!
    for some reason i thought you typed lovely horse and i straight away started singing in my head, my lovely tire running through the ...... field
    think all this tyre research is getting to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    They are a lovely tyre!

There is such a thing as a 'lovely' tyre ? :confused:

Advertisement