Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate: Best value place to live in Ireland

Options
  • 04-04-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

With everything rising in price, why not start this debate.

Id probably go with Maynooth. Decent sized town, alot on your doorstep and decent transport links. 3 bed semis around 200K atm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

200k?!
    I doubt that
    Maynooth is a great spot though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

tupenny wrote: »
    200k?!
    I doubt that
    Maynooth is a great spot though

More like 300K at the moment for the cheapest ones

If you want a 3-bed semi for 200k at the moment, you're looking at somewhere like Navan or some parts of Newbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Under the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

It depends where you live and what you do amongst others. I know someone who paid €100K for an old cottage in Co Roscommon, fully restored, no mortgage, less than 10 mins drive to the town where she works, which has almost everything you'd need. She couldn't be happier on around €30K p.a, so that's good value for her. If she was back in Dublin she'd probably only be able to afford a place in a roughish area, or with an hours commute.

There are ohters, including myself who wouldn't be able to hack living there, but it fits her perfectly. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

• Advertisement

Not sure this thread really makes much sense, because there is no right or wrong answer, no valid or invalid opinion. Fwiw I'd rather a wooden box on the side of a mountain here in South Kerry than either Maynooth or Roscommon...but I like South Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The right answer is the optimal mix of (I) average salary (II) quality of life and (III) average price.

An approach could be that you take places where average salary is highest compared to average price, and then take into consideration quality of life in this location.

E.g. hypothetically, houses beside a nuclear power station could be really good value; but would you want to live there.

Obviously - you can calculate average salary and average price in a given location, but quality of life is not calculable and is subjective.

In short, we can all have opinions but a valid answer is way beyond the scope of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ill guess Limerick.

If I was to pick one place where
    (I) Good quality professional jobs are available
    (II) Prices are relatively low
    (III) Its a very nice place with great amenities
    (IV) Its accessible to major infrastructure e.g. airports, universities etc.

Then hands down, nowhere for me comes close to Kilkenny.

As per above, I'd say Midelton is also a good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

My wife and I have been coming and going to Ireland for years and we've considered our options for a permanent return from various visits to family and friends all over the country.

Of all the major urban areas Limerick is the one that stands out for a bit of everything we need. I'd love Galway but I think it's gotten way too congested and Dublin is just not good value. Plus Limerick has an international airport and you're not far from the coast or Kerry for the outdoors.

I've lived in Dublin and Cork before. Now on a wild card I used to spend a good bit of time in belfast and if reunification happened I'd certainly consider it.

Midleton, East Cork?

Wouldn't live there if the house was free. An oversized town that boomed in the Tiger years because it was cheaper than Cork. And in an area that's not known for its scenery...the boring flat bit between West Cork and West Waterford.

The distance from sea would rule Kilkenny out...though unlike Midleton it's a nice town

catbear wrote: »
    My wife and I have been coming and going to Ireland for years and we've considered our options for a permanent return from various visits to family and friends all over the country.

Of all the major urban areas Limerick is the one that stands out for a bit of everything we need. I'd love Galway but I think it's gotten way too congested and Dublin is just not good value. Plus Limerick has an international airport and you're not far from the coast or Kerry for the outdoors.

I've lived in Dublin and Cork before. Now on a wild card I used to spend a good bit of time in belfast and if reunification happened I'd certainly consider it.

Wages are very low in Belfast.

Midleton, East Cork?

Wouldn't live there if the house was free. An oversized town that boomed in the Tiger years because it was cheaper than Cork. And in an area that's not known for its scenery...the boring flat bit between West Cork and West Waterford.

The sea reason would also see Kilkenny out...though unlike Midleton it's a nice town

Kilkenny has fantastic scenery.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Kilkenny has fantastic scenery.

They hide it well. I guess Inistioge is a pretty village. But it's not exactly soaring mountains sweeping down to the sea stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Your Face wrote: »
    Under the sea.

That's your answer to everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Midelton - Decent sized town, a lot on your doorstep and decent transport links.

But.. you know.... Cork?
    Give me Co Clare any day of the week. Love it, bar Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Wages are very low in Belfast.
    Thankfully we options for remote working.

Kilkenny is great for the craic too but I found october to march very boring there. Brilliant connections for Dublin city and airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Limerick best value place to live in Ireland. 100 per cent

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On paper at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'd say Leixlip, Maynooth or maybe Ashbourne. The former have good rail access and the latter is a quick spin up the big smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I love Clontarf, by the sea, not too far from the city centre and well away from the grief. If only those Lotto numbers would come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Ill guess Limerick.

Lived there for 5 years. Would definitely agree.

People have crazy notions about what Limerick is actually like. If someone told you that Dublin was an unsafe hellhole to live in because they recently read a newspaper story about someone being murdered in Dublin you'd think they were nuts, but people say that sort of thing about Limerick all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

But you can see Limerick City get very expensive like what happened in Manchester Investors are buying up limerick City big time.

Advertisement