Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do?

Options
  • 04-04-2017 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've just started a new job and my first 3 shifts are nights. I'm on my second one at the moment. There's a staff meeting at 9am this morning and I've been asked if I'm going to attend, but another staff member told me she wouldn't usually stay on if she was in the middle of nights as they go on til 12pm. I really don't fancy staying on for hours right after a night shift and I'm working another one tonight. They made attendance sound optional but I don't want to make a bad impression by leaving!

Looking for opinions on what I should do? :confused:

Comments

Ask

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DauphinAi

Ask

I asked a senior member of staff, she said "It's up to you". I'm just worried about making a bad impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

It's a new job, attend, it'll buy you some brownie points and bring a string coffee with you to stay awake

I'd def either stay away and annoy them. Or attend, nod off, and annoy them. I wouldn't talk to them at all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Erik Shin wrote: »
    It's a new job, attend, it'll buy you some brownie points and bring a string coffee with you to stay awake

Have you ever worked a night shift?

No way would I stay for a staff meeting post nights, unless there was something catastrophic after happening that I needed to talk about. Given that you're new, you may not even have much to contribute and would probably struggle to focus for a meeting that long even if you were on a day shift (btw what kind of staff meeting goes on for three hours? That's lunacy! How does any work get done?)

When the day staff come in, pull the manager/most senior person aside and explain that you would like to attend but it just isn't practical. Ask for a copy of the minutes of the meeting to be left for you so you can catch up when you come in tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Don't bother unless your working at a level with authority. I'm sure you will be mailed the important outputs from the meeting. Any decent firm wouldn't expect you to attend as its a very tough ask for someone on nights.

What the poster above me said is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DauphinAi

No way would I stay for a staff meeting post nights, unless there was something catastrophic after happening that I needed to talk about. Given that you're new, you may not even have much to contribute and would probably struggle to focus for a meeting that long even if you were on a day shift (btw what kind of staff meeting goes on for three hours? That's lunacy! How does any work get done?)

When the day staff come in, pull the manager/most senior person aside and explain that you would like to attend but it just isn't practical. Ask for a copy of the minutes of the meeting to be left for you so you can catch up when you come in tonight.

Thanks for this. I am so tired right now I feel ill. I honestly don't think I'd physically be able.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭xlogo

DauphinAi wrote:
    I asked a senior member of staff, she said "It's up to you". I'm just worried about making a bad impression.

Ask your manager / supervisor what is normally done or expected in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A three hour post work meeting, immediately after finishing a night shift? That's asking a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

DauphinAi wrote: »
    They made attendance sound optional

There is your answer.
    They made it optional because they know the situation with night shift staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Go on a mad killing spree, that'll teach them to ask you to a staff meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

I have, i have also put in 16 hour days as a matter of course.
    If he attends, he gets to know the lay of the land, can assess if these meetings are actually optional or not...But his choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

DauphinAi wrote: »

It's hardly that important if it's optional....go home to bed for yourself

Advertisement