Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psychology at DBS

Options
  • 04-04-2017 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Im currently looking to do the PT course Hons Degreee in psychology at Dublin business school.

Can anyone give me an insight into the content of the course, how intense it is? I heard it's mostly reading?! I would be applying as a mature student so I'm slightly worried about the academics of it.

Also after completing the course I'm under the influence that the degree isn't worth much unless you go further again " Masters "

Any insight would be great,

Thanks in advance,

James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hi everyone,

Im currently looking to do the PT course Hons Degreee in psychology at Dublin business school.

Can anyone give me an insight into the content of the course, how intense it is? I heard it's mostly reading?! I would be applying as a mature student so I'm slightly worried about the academics of it.

Also after completing the course I'm under the influence that the degree isn't worth much unless you go further again " Masters "

Any insight would be great,

Thanks in advance,

James.

Can you expand on why you're undertaking the course? Is it out of general interest, or do you have career aspirations for psychology?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Diegomendez

Hi,

It's out of both if I'm honest. I find the research on it fascinating & I also like the career options too. I know if I don't pursue further in psychology I've other opinions too but I think going further would interest me more.

I've been doing a lot of research on it and a lot of people who got into psychology with long terms goals in mind found themselves aspiring into other fields than the original desired field in mind.

I've also been in contact with DBS, they've sent me the course content and the run of the year ahead starting this sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

If you're wise you can utilise psychology in most employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

How much is the course? I can't seem to work it out from the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Course fee is 4050€. Seems fairly high, NCI have it for 3800€ without the PSI accreditation. Part time that is.

To be honest. I would rather do it at BSc level if doing it for that price. Can't seem to find a BSc course part time but.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    Course fee is 4050?. Seems fairly high, NCI have it for 3800? without the PSI accreditation. Part time that is.

To be honest. I would rather do it at BSc level if doing it for that price. Can't seem to find a BSc course part time but.

That may be the point though; it's that price because they facilitate a part time course. And frankly, without PSI accredidation I wouldn't bother with the NCI course. PSI accredidation affords you BPS accreditation so you're covered to pursue any postgraduate courses you wish afterward, a number of which require the aforementioned accreditation.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I’m a bit late to this conversation but I did this course – graduated about 2 years ago…
    I also studied as a mature student doing it part time. The majority of people on my course were late 20’s early 30’s with a few older people also…

Almost everyone was working full time while doing it. It was tough going but manageable… It’s 2 evenings a week. Yeah, plenty of reading and essays. You do 4 subjects each year (I think it was). It was €900 per module so €3,600 per year. If you wanted to reduce the number of modules you could do that, but it would just take you longer.

Depending on what you want to do with the degree after I would certainly advise choosing a PSI accredited degree. Accreditation is becoming increasingly relevant in the counselling/psychotherapy field and like Jimmy says, it helps with accessing Masters courses. Obviously it’s down to personal choice.

I must admit I was pretty sceptical of DBS before I went there. I didn’t think there’d be as good quality lecturers as there was. I really enjoyed the course and found the lecturers really good.
    Feel free to PM me with any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nupur

Hello there. I will finish my degree of HDIP in psychology from DBS in next year. Now need aome suggestion to pursue my career as a psychologist what can i do next? Shall i immediately apply for MSc in applied psychology? Or i will wait and try to gather work experience? I am also study here aa a mature student. So dont want to waste my time by taking wrong decission.

Nupur wrote: »
    Hello there. I will finish my degree of HDIP in psychology from DBS in next year. Now need aome suggestion to pursue my career as a psychologist what can i do next? Shall i immediately apply for MSc in applied psychology? Or i will wait and try to gather work experience? I am also study here aa a mature student. So dont want to waste my time by taking wrong decission.

Completely depends what your career goal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TallGlass wrote: »
    Course fee is 4050€. Seems fairly high, NCI have it for 3800€ without the PSI accreditation. Part time that is.

A non-accredited course would be a waste of both the time and money invested.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    A non-accredited course would be a waste of both the time and money invested.

That post is two years old, so let's hope that poster had a DeLorean :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That post is two years old, so let's hope that poster had a DeLorean :P

Ah, sure somebody else in another couple of years might stumble across this thread and benefit from the sage wisdom of the ages...

:o

Advertisement