Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo issue

Options
  • 03-04-2017 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I brought my VW polo (2011, 1.2 diesel) into Volkswagen for an update which they said was required. On the day of the update the check engine light came on in the car and Volkswagen said they could not complete the update as this light was on. they then stated that the Exhaust Gas Recirculater (EGR) valve/cooler was the issue. To clean this I was quoted €1300 and for a new part €2000. Is this expensive for this part? has anyone else experienced this? Best course of action?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I brought my VW polo (2011, 1.2 diesel) into Volkswagen for an update which they said was required. On the day of the update the check engine light came on in the car and Volkswagen said they could not complete the update as this light was on. they then stated that the Exhaust Gas Recirculater (EGR) valve/cooler was the issue. To clean this I was quoted €1300 and for a new part €2000. Is this expensive for this part? has anyone else experienced this? Best course of action?

Too late now but many are having issues with these software updates over the scandal and many say to not agree or let them carry out the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€2k for an EGR sounds a bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the car has a full VW dealer service history then ask the dealer to push VW for some goodwill towards the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

€2k sounds strong for a replacement, even from a main dealer. €1300 would be the going rate for a Dublin based dealer to replace one, a little bit less down the country. Just make sure you havn't misunderstood the dealer, equally because I can't see a dealer recommending cleaning one because that doesn't work.

I'd echo the above and ask the dealer to push for goodwill on your behalf. What kind of mileage is on the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How does a badly made EGR valve even cost that much?

Valve opens, Valve closes. It's not that complex a part

I think they just get bunged up with carbon deposits which causes them to not open and close anymore.

The book time to do one on a 1.6 Mk6 is 5.5 hours I believe and longer again when the 1.6 is shoehorned into a Polo which at main dealer labour rates tots up very quickly. Then the cooler itself and auxiliaries come to around €700.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 coffeebeans17

80000miles on the car and I don't think the vw dealer will go for good will gesture as car brought in from uk.

Possibility to go until it fails?

80000miles on the car and I don't think the vw dealer will go for good will gesture as car brought in from uk.

Possibility to go until it fails?

They must stand over if still in warranty for a start and you are still covered if recalled or there are known issues.

Be worth writing to vw Ireland and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very unlikely, back in 2011 a UK VW would have had a 3 year warranty, VW Ireland would only honour the first 2 years. The 3rd year was a VW UK dealer network warranty.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Very unlikely, back in 2011 a UK VW would have had a 3 year warranty, VW Ireland would only honour the first 2 years. The 3rd year was a VW UK dealer network warranty.

Yes I get that but I mean if its a common fault and is faulty across them all then it should be looked after as they should well last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yes I get that but I mean if its a common fault and is faulty across them all then it should be looked after as they should well last longer.

Ahem.... oil pump drives? The chocolate door modules? The choclate electronic handbrakes?
    The elastic timing chains?

Update: engine light came back on I decided to bring the car for a 2nd opinion. Full diagnostics carried out on the car and the codes that were showing was the 02 sensor either before the catalytic converter or after!

Update: engine light came back on I decided to bring the car for a 2nd opinion. Full diagnostics carried out on the car and the codes that were showing was the 02 sensor either before the catalytic converter or after!

You'd be wasting money changing o2 sensors. Highly unlikely VW got it wrong tbh. Sounds like your second opinion mechanic could even narrow it down to one component.

Be realistic, did the check engine light honestly come on for the first time the morning you were going in for the update or had it been on a while?

The light came on once previous to the day of the update but had went off itself after a day or so!
    Garage today advised that there wouldn't be a point changing the o2 sensors either.
    Is it possible for two different codes to be showing up over the space of a week?

Advertisement