Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'll bring her some in

Options
  • 03-04-2017 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there, in a thing I'm writing, I have one (Irish) person say to another (in English), "Mam really likes pancakes. I'll bring her some in tomorrow." I know the grammar of that last phrase should be "in some," but it sounds too posh coming from the particular character. I'm just wondering if it's okay. Don't we use that form a lot in Ireland? I'm overthinking now, so I can't remember! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I think you could be in the wrong section...unless you want it translated to Irish?
    Could you not say "I'll bring her some tomorrow"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gate12

Many thanks. I thought perhaps there might be a reason in Irish grammar that the sentence would be like that (...some in..), like a holdover? Just like the "do be doing things... is a holdover. If not, no worries.

I get you now. Like "is it yourself that's in it"?
    I don't think it follows but maybe someone else might throw further light on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Gate12 wrote: »
    "Mam really likes pancakes. I'll bring her some in tomorrow."

Taitnaíonn pancóg go mór ag Mamaí. Tógfaidh mé cuid dóibh isteach léi amárach......

It depends on the context really- 'in' - does this mean she's in hospital or something- and wants them brought into her (Irish hospital food is notoriously poor).

Unless there is a specific reason to use the 'in' its more applicable in Irish to ignore the 'isteach' or 'in' (as béarla) and run with it without?

Where is the 'in' coming from- why are you referring to 'in' it infers the pancakes are being brought to (an unnamed) location- where Mommy is- rather than just to Mommy- locational agnostic.........

Sorry if my Gaeilge above isn't 100% fluirseach, tá mé cuíosach meirgeach.......

Taitníonn pancóga go mór le Mamaí. Bhéarfaidh mé roinnt isteach aici amárach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Taitníonn pancóga go mór le Mamaí. Bhéarfaidh mé roinnt isteach aici amárach.

Tabharfaidh mé roinnt isteach liom amárach di.

Tabharfaidh mé roinnt isteach liom amárach di.

Tá cuma bhreá ar sin fosta.

Advertisement