Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFlow keeping the VAT

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The original price was dropped to ensure that it stayed the same when the VAT was applied (it was VAT free originally)

Prices did not rise. No consumer is getting screwed - the cash just ended up with the state in a different way - eFlow IS the state.

Businesses were able to reclaim the VAT on state owned tollroads during this period, and now they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Craigevans1985

Would that not apply to DCC the same then? I would have thought that VAT would be treated the same for both? Looking at what they are saying the price was €1.70, and that is now increased to €2.10. (With the VAT removed)
    I'm definitely looking at it from my personal commuter point of view, if the ECJ ruled that there was no VAT applicable on anything else I wouldn't expect the price to rise by 23%, but I'd certainly feel screwed if the company put the price up to match. But that's me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would that not apply to DCC the same then? I would have thought that VAT would be treated the same for both? Looking at what they are saying the price was €1.70, and that is now increased to €2.10. (With the VAT removed)
    I'm definitely looking at it from my personal commuter point of view, if the ECJ ruled that there was no VAT applicable on anything else I wouldn't expect the price to rise by 23%, but I'd certainly feel screwed if the company put the price up to match. But that's me.

The price didn't rise when VAT was applied. DCC operated no tolls at the time.

The price you pay won't be changing and realistically neither is the destination of the cash as its just two arms of the state.

The choice was there, they chose to go the other way. We have two cars on the M50, that's more than €300 of vat per year that's staying with eFlow. Since they were passing on the 23% to Revenue it's no skin off their nose to continue not taking it, so keeping it now just screws me and profits them. Don't care that revenue or tii got the money. The choice was there.

The choice was there, they chose to go the other way. We have two cars on the M50, that's more than €300 of vat per year that's staying with eFlow. Since they were passing on the 23% to Revenue it's no skin off their nose to continue not taking it, so keeping it now just screws me and profits them. Don't care that revenue or tii got the money. The choice was there.

eFlow is the state.
    Revenue is the state.

The entire point of the appeal was to stop businesses being able to reclaim the VAT. It has zero impact on consumers.

• Advertisement

I get that. But the choice was there. I feel worse off. If VAT was removed from baked beans, I'd expect the price to go down, not for the company to increase the price and keep it whether they claimed they'd added it in before or not. That's just me. I feel I pay enough, and the little difference it would make for me would not have meant anything to eFlow. €2k a year on tolls on the M50. It bites.

I get that. But the choice was there. I feel worse off. If VAT was removed from baked beans, I'd expect the price to go down, not for the company to increase the price and keep it whether they claimed they'd added it in before or not. That's just me. I feel I pay enough, and the little difference it would make for me would not have meant anything to eFlow. €2k a year on tolls on the M50. It bites.

The price did not go up with VAT was added though. No consumer is any worse off.

The "little difference" is absolutely massive across the entire customer base, which is why this case was taken.

Advertisement