Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for a cheap few days away in the sun, solo

Options
  • 03-04-2017 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    Itching to get away even for a long weekend. Partner is heading to Vancouver for two weeks in May to visit family- i did that trip solo two years ago to visit my relatives and took in Seattle and Portland, so really not bothered to go back and he is happy to go solo. But it's a long year until we go away on hols together in September​, and I need a break.
    Loved Lisbon and Berlin, would love suggestions on a relaxing 4 ish day break for one...Am 34 and would like to feel safe too? I see some posts about Rome..But not really for me..Honestly I think I'd like a bit of pool time, which is contrary i what i usually go for! But still open to 'city break of there's some relaxation time too :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Barcelona. Has everything. Entertainment, culture, Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Barcelona. Has everything. Entertainment, culture, Sun.
    she says she wants to go somewhere safe .

Barcelona has to be one of the most dangerous crime ridden holes imaginable.
    Was there just the twice with a group of friends and on both times we had mobiles and wallets stolen.
    Another friend of mine was there with the boyfriend and was robbed at knife point, and ended up lucky not to get hurt as the attacker wouldnt believe they had so little cash on them.
    When I landed to the accommodation the first time, the manager of the place (just round corner from Ramblas) warned us not to make a scene if robbed at knife point as there were some incidents where people did get stabbed for refusing.

Sorry, but Barca really is not a place you would categorise as safe, at least not the city. Maybe go up the coast a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^^ Sorry that that was your experience.

I have been there a number of times and thankfully never had any trouble.
    My sisters have travelled there with female friends without any problems either.

It was ranked 11th out of 50 cities worldwide in personal safety in 2015. Page 33 of the report.

http://safecities.cope.economist.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2015/06/Safe_cities_index_2015_EIU_report-1.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

i had priced a two day jaunt to Tarragona last week but couldn't go. It looks like such a beautiful spot, with the roman ruins, so lots to explore but has the sea too for relaxation. Flying into Reus was €40 and it was a 15 minute train journey to Tarragona. The hotels were very reasonable too with stunning views of the sea. It's definitely on my list but doubt I'll get this year now as prices will be increasing for the high season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Seville. Was there last week and felt very safe.

• Advertisement

Hey!
    Itching to get away even for a long weekend. Partner is heading to Vancouver for two weeks in May to visit family- i did that trip solo two years ago to visit my relatives and took in Seattle and Portland, so really not bothered to go back and he is happy to go solo. But it's a long year until we go away on hols together in September​, and I need a break.
    Loved Lisbon and Berlin, would love suggestions on a relaxing 4 ish day break for one...Am 34 and would like to feel safe too? I see some posts about Rome..But not really for me..Honestly I think I'd like a bit of pool time, which is contrary i what i usually go for! But still open to 'city break of there's some relaxation time too :)

I spent a lovely week in Morocco back in January. 700 for the week, including accomodation, flights, food and booze. I spent most of the week lying by the pool reading my book.

Was in Rome the week previously and hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

Bremen is somewhere I recommend.....

Airport is 11 minutes on Tram to city centre. Plenty of Hotel chains to pick from.

Becks Bier is there as well as Airbus, Mercedes etc... think they all do tours.

Plenty of olde-worlde building to look at etc....

Advertisement