Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on second hand laptop

Options
  • 02-04-2017 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,

i seen the below HP laptop advertised on adverts, it seems like a good deal but i'm just a bit unsure as im not too familiar with laptops especially this perticular one. i just need it for basic web surfing and office, but also watching college video tuturials online. I can get it for €225

http://www.adverts.ie/12565943

Can anyone advise please?

Also i seen the same one for a bit cheaper here, €150

http://www.adverts.ie/12359383

Should i just get the cheaper one if its pretty much same specs??

thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are the not same model - one is 8460P and the other 2560p
    www.google.ie/search?q=elitebook+2560p+vs+8460p
    The laptops have different size harddrives and RAM

One seller is a laptop repair guy that sells refurbished stuff and the other is a private person.

Since you won't use it for anything strenuous I'd say to go with the cheaper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The cheaper one has an SSD- the more expensive has a load more RAM.
    I'd be inclined to say buy the cheaper- and invest the difference in a stick or two of additional RAM.

The more expensive one- is quite rugged (we're not talking Panasonic Toughbook rugged- but its a damn sight more rugged than most). If you're planning on slinging the laptop around the place- its the obvious choice.

Everything else being equal- buy the cheaper- and get an extra stick of RAM with the money you've saved.

Ps- make sure the software on it is properly licensed- for a full copy of Office 2010 etc- its remarkable value...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The cheaper one has an SSD- the more expensive has a load more RAM.
    I'd be inclined to say buy the cheaper- and invest the difference in a stick or two of additional RAM.

The more expensive one- is quite rugged (we're not talking Panasonic Toughbook rugged- but its a damn sight more rugged than most). If you're planning on slinging the laptop around the place- its the obvious choice.

Everything else being equal- buy the cheaper- and get an extra stick of RAM with the money you've saved.

Ps- make sure the software on it is properly licensed- for a full copy of Office 2010 etc- its remarkable value...........
    Check if all the RAM is in replaceable slots for whatever model. Some devices have soldered-in RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Neither of these have soldered ram.They both have 2 ram slots.
    They are both of the same family of elitebook,same approximate age,2011-2012.The key difference is the 8460 has a bigger screen.
    Both would be as rugged as each other.They have the same chassis,lid and palm rest materials.Regarding the ram,6gb would offer a slight improvement on 4gb,but cex sell 2gb ddr3 12800 sodimms for €2.The 2560p has a 4gb and 2gb stick in it.The 8460p most likely has 1 x 4gb stick in it,but could have 2 x 2gb sticks if it was changed from factory spec.

All in all the 8460p is far better value with the ssd,it will be nicer to use than the 2560p with a hdd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Check if all the RAM is in replaceable slots for whatever model. Some devices have soldered-in RAM.

Its not (I've one I use as a backup laptop for emergencies).

Only downside to this particular model- the BIOS uses a whitelist (aka you can't swap out the wifi card or some other components other than for those included on the whitelist. Later HP models (xx70x series) do not have this limitation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

The seller has the 8460p listed as having a 13" screen,they actually have a 14" screen,the 2560p are 12.5".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 8460P is much better value and would be a lot faster. 4 v 6GB ram is not really much of a consideration at all in my opinion. For the OPs uses 4GB is plenty, and as someone pointed out it's dirt cheap to upgrade in any case.

Advertisement