Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of dog sign or not...?

Options
  • 02-04-2017 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I have an aggressive dog, a collie/terrier mix.

He hates strangers, other dogs and basically anyone who isn't living in the home. He loses his sh*t when anyone knocks at the door, im concerned about people using the letter box and getting their fingers bitten, also people coming to the door with children.

Would it be worth putting up a beware of dog sign on the gate or front door?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

A beware of the dog sign indicates prior knowledge of aggression and could be used as an admission of fault or lack of control.

An alternative is a sign stating dog on premises, it makes people aware that you have a dog and hopefully it's enough of a warning not to stick their fingers in your letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

I have an aggressive dog, a collie/terrier mix.

He hates strangers, other dogs and basically anyone who isn't living in the home. He loses his sh*t when anyone knocks at the door, im concerned about people using the letter box and getting their fingers bitten, also people coming to the door with children.

Would it be worth putting up a beware of dog sign on the gate or front door?

Hope you have good insurance and that the insurance company are aware of the risk.

If not hope you have lots of money, in case of a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

A beware of the dog sign indicates prior knowledge of aggression and could be used as an admission of fault or lack of control.

An alternative is a sign stating dog on premises, it makes people aware that you have a dog and hopefully it's enough of a warning not to stick their fingers in your letterbox.

The letter box is the main issue because it's not as if when someone knocks we'll just let the dog run out to greet who ever is there, I always put him in a room when I answer the door or if people have to come in.

I even went out and bought a letter box that I mounted on the wall outside the door put people still insist on using the letter box in the door for some reason. I thought a sign might stop them but I get your point of more or less admitting I have an aggressive dog.

I think I'll just put a nail in the letter box sealing it shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The letter box is the main issue because it's not as if when someone knocks we'll just let the dog run out to greet who ever is there, I always put him in a room when I answer the door or if people have to come in.

I even went out and bought a letter box that I mounted on the wall outside the door put people still insist on using the letter box in the door for some reason. I thought a sign might stop them but I get your point of more or less admitting I have an aggressive dog.

I think I'll just put a nail in the letter box sealing it shut.

Or you could get one of those cage style things that go on the inside of the letterbox that the letters drop into. I hope you know what I'm talking about?

This!
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231560731000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hope you have good insurance and that the insurance company are aware of the risk.

If not hope you have lots of money, in case of a claim.

What help is this? ^^

The OP knows he has a problem dog, and is asking for advice, no need to antagonise him.

OP, have you tried a behaviourist coming out to work with the dogs aggression? It's a common problem for dogs to go nuts when somebody puts something in the letterbox, because in his head his tactics are working, he goes nuts and the postman/courier leaves - job done in his head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

What help is this? ^^

The OP knows he has a problem dog, and is asking for advice, no need to antagonise him.

OP, have you tried a behaviourist coming out to work with the dogs aggression? It's a common problem for dogs to go nuts when somebody puts something in the letterbox, because in his head his tactics are working, he goes nuts and the postman/courier leaves - job done in his head.

The OP is aware that on his property there is a danger to other people, how is it not help to advice the OP to have proper insurance in case of a civil claim.

A reasonable person would expect that they will not be injured simply putting a letter into a letter box. Knowing a risk exists the home owner must reduce that if the person does not want to be paying out thousands in damages they should have good insurance. If the OP does not inform the insurance company of the risk then the OP risks the insurance company refusing to give cover any claim.

The OP later post says they have put a post box outside the property, that is a good move, putting a clear sign that all post to be left at that point is a good idea, to remove the letterbox would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Or you could get one of those cage style things that go on the inside of the letterbox that the letters drop into. I hope you know what I'm talking about?

This!
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231560731000

Beat me too it

Advertisement